Dish towel sticking to bread dough, grrrrr...

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I'm pretty darn proud of my progress in the bread baking department, but one problem that I'm running into often is that my dish towels are sticking to the dough when it's rising and if it happens in the second rise, when I peel off the dish towel, it flattens the loaves. :he What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Are you using a damp towel?

I don't usually use a towel...I just put a pan of boiling water in the oven where I let my dough rise. The humidity prevents the surface of the dough drying out.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Dace, I like your idea about skipping the dish towel altogether and placing a pan of boiling water in the oven when rising. I tried the damp towel once and that was a fiasco, but even the occasional dry towel sticks. I did a Google seach and discovered that another reason I might be having this problem is because my dishtowels are very nubby. I think between your solution and that discovery all my problems are solved! (If only! :p)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sometimes lightly put a piece of saran wrap then the towel to prevent that.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I use flour sack cloths - very light - and no sticking. My flour sack cloths are used for bread only. Anyone that touchs one of them is subject to a very mean tounge lashing along with a temper tantrum and a sever foot stomping. LOL

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ah hah! Another clever idea. I'll be sure to pick up a few the next time I see them. (But I'll certainly stay away from yours 2dream! :hide)

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I sometimes lightly put a piece of saran wrap then the towel to prevent that.
I bet that might solve the problem too, but I'm trying to avoid the use of plastic as much as possible. Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I'm with 2dream, flour sacking towels are great. The point is to just gently lay the towel across the loaves, without pressure or tucking in. Back in the day, I've used tea towels successfully....anyone remember them? :D

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
I use flour sack cloths - very light - and no sticking. My flour sack cloths are used for bread only. Anyone that touchs one of them is subject to a very mean tounge lashing along with a temper tantrum and a sever foot stomping. LOL
Oh, I'm so glad to see someone else with this house rule. LOL
I like my bread towels for bread.

I do use these towels for my noodle making, too.