Dishwasher Parts- A RANT! Updated w/ pic.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The dishwasher that came with the house ARRRGH! The "buttons" for different cycles were breaking one by one, first it was just the "regular", no problem we just ran it on "power scrub", and so on but now we're down to "quick rinse" and that's it. So I took it apart (as I always do, with mixed results) and it's this little plastic piece that has these flimsy little do-hickies that have all broken off. Looked online and the darned thing costs $40 to replace. FOR A TINY PIECE OF PLASTIC!!! Ugh!! :thun

Trying to stay family friendly here but sheesh. I just need to vent a little before I go to the parts warehouse tomorrow and say something that requires them to file a restraining order. :duc

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
IT IS JUST A TINY PC OF PLASTIC? FOR $40? OH MY LORD.............THAT IS JUST FANTASTIC, YOU START SAVING A LITTLE MONEY AND SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS,,,,,,,
There I vented with you, :D lol. Go ahead, give it to us we can handle it. Trust me tho, if it is a well made dishwasher and it is older.....get it fixed and hold onto it. Because the ones nowadays are ALL PLASTIC.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is an older model Bosch. I kind of hate it. Everything about it is pretty flimsy. But at least I can fix it. The compressor went out on our fridge about a month ago and I had to buy a whole new one. Wonder what's next?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Isn't that just ridiculous??!! Shocking how much the tiniest of parts cost us for repairs. You would think a tiny plastic part like that would be $10 or less! :barnie

There? feel better? ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear ya on this one. What a pain in the &^%$!! Tony and I said this the other day, our grill could use new grill racks and they are like super high priced. He said for spending $40-50 bucks for them, it would be smarter to just buy a new grill....LOL...I said nope, I will clean the hound out of these and live with them..LOL

Companies make things become disposable. If they offered replacement parts reasonable priced, then you wouldn't feel like it would be just as easy to commit a little more money and buy a new one.....terrible.

If you have 2 buttons broke right now, that would be like $80 to fix, I think I would consider buying a new one at this point, especially if you hate this one...LOL...is that an option at this point?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you have a habitat for humanity resale store near you? I've often seen dishwashers at ours. (some older, some not so older) Some people just remodel their kitchens and take the "old" stuff and donate it there. Even though it's in perfect working order, just didn't match their new style.

You could probably pick up a new used one from there for the same or less than that plastic part! Just a thought!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What about epoxy putty? Form it right on there so it molds around the doohickies the plastic button was supposed to click onto. YOu just have to make sure the remade button has clearance to move past the other buttons. Sometimes this is impossible b/c of not having spiderlike enough fingers for the situation but I've done it successfully for some things in the past (lab equipment, a blender) so it might be worth a try.

Good luck ("have fun" would clearly be inappropriate :p),

Pat

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
All I can say is I really sympathize- My 6 year old appliances have broken one after the other and the repairs always seem to cost about 1/3 the price of a new one.
I wonder if this is a plot. You buy this new appliance designed with short lifespan parts that cost an arm and a leg. Kind of double the profit ,seems to me.
Well sort of a joke but I can hear an owner saying -we need to sell cheaper to compete so go cheap on the parts- only has to last through warrenty.

PS I wonder if you email the builder with your complaint whther they would send the part just as a customer service thing? You can bet it doesn't cost them $40.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I am just going to buy the part. I thought about trying to glue or putty the tabs back on but there just isn't enough surface area to make it work. I must say though the dishwasher is seventeen years old, so all in all $40 isn't too much to scream about. It's just what you get for $40. I'll post a pic of it before I install it. It had to cost, like, $0.15 to manufacture :|

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well here it is. Tell me if you think it's worth 40 bucks.

IMG_0106.jpg

(Of course my friend says I have the Wal-Mart roll back price going on in my mind for everything)

Latest posts