Dispatching a trapped squirrel - the deed is done!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL. Exactly. It is a good practice critter.

Ok, I am laughing because I married such a CITY BOY!!! I told him I offed the squirrel and he cringed. I told him how I tried to skin it and made a mess and he shivered. He asked where the carcass was and I told him "the refrigerator". I think he turned a little green.

I am going to have to make stew and not tell him what's in it! :p

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
you just found a way to keep your leftovers, auntie.

"there's squirrel in the fridge".

the leftovers are mystery meat, dear.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, it sounds like you did really good. At least better than I did the first time I killed something. It was a mouse. Poor thing, I couldn't aim with the stick I had and kept missing the glueboard. Finally I had to actually hold the stick AND the glueboard to knock it in the head and then I cried and snotted for hours afterward. i buried the poor little mouse and gave him a name. Dh came home and I was red eyed and still snotting and started crying all over again when I told him what happened. He was very unsympathetic. :rolleyes: Anyway, now the kids and I make hand puppets out of rabbit hides when we get though cleaning, and then we tan them.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol:

Sorry WZ for laughing at your story,...I can see you now with that squirrel!

My DH and son are avid squirrel hunters and they like them for dinner or breakfast also,..DH was raised on them. Myself personally, I can live without it. We just boil the squirrel in a pot of water,remove squirrel, make a rue and thicken up broth to make a nice gravy,you can even do dumplings. Take the squirrel after it cools,..roll it in flour, and of course, fry it. Not bad,...just like chicken n' dumplings. I have two in the freezer waiting to be made into breakfast one morning,....yaaa,. :rolleyes: . All in all they do make an excellent broth,..maybe good for soup??

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay you! :clap I got a big kick out of your hubby :lol:
*Using my Bubba voice ala the "shrimp monologue"*
Lemon Pepper squirrel, BBQ squirrel, pan fried squirrel, squirrel and gravy, squirrel stew, bacon wrapped squirrel, squirrel creole, squirrel alfredo. Squirrel is gooooood. :drool

rebecca100 said:
Anyway, now the kids and I make hand puppets out of rabbit hides when we get though cleaning, and then we tan them.
:gig Oh, the mental image I got with this!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Did I inspire you with my pig tales? Did you want to :sick or did you wear your big girl pants? (Mine were in the wash...)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I didn't get queezy. I thought I might since it has been so long since I dispatched and gutted anything.

I guess the big girl panties were on, but I did have a gruesome "flashback" of those little paws I chopped off as I was falling asleep! :gig

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
of those little paws I chopped off
i'm telling you - the 'trotters' are the worst part..... (wait for it)... HANDS DOWN!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!