Dispatching a trapped squirrel - the deed is done!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I currently have a squirrel in a have-a-heart trap. He looks nice and fat...no doubt plumped up on stolen feed from the duck and quail pens. So I am feeling a little heartless and think he would make a good stew.

So how do I off this furry little tree rat without a firearm? (I am in the burbs)

Throw the whole trap in to a water bucket?
Put the thing in the freezer?

And I haven't cleaned a critter in decades. I am pretty sure I can figure it out, but I remember the big issue with small game back when I hunted was some disease that left spots on the liver. Anyone know what I am talking about? Anything else I should be looking out for?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I currently have a squirrel in a have-a-heart trap. He looks nice and fat...no doubt plumped up on stolen feed from the duck and quail pens. So I am feeling a little heartless and think he would make a good stew.

So how do I off this furry little tree rat without a firearm? (I am in the burbs)

Throw the whole trap in to a water bucket?
Put the thing in the freezer?

And I haven't cleaned a critter in decades. I am pretty sure I can figure it out, but I remember the big issue with small game back when I hunted was some disease that left spots on the liver. Anyone know what I am talking about? Anything else I should be looking out for?
Do you have a BB or pellet gun? The other option is a sling.

Otherwise, pin him down with a stick and pop him on the head with something heavy.

It will undoubtedly have fleas, so be prepared for those.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I do have a Daisy BB gun. I think I will try that. I hope it works because even though I hate squirrels, I am not in to needless suffering. Maybe I will fill the water bucket just in case.

Anyone else?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I do have a Daisy BB gun. I think I will try that. I hope it works because even though I hate squirrels, I am not in to needless suffering. Maybe I will fill the water bucket just in case.

Anyone else?
BB will work. Aim for the eyes. I use a pellet gun for squirrels and its just about the same thing.
Very effective.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, bop it on the head or use a bb gun, make a slipknot noose to hold his head steady in the trap while you dispatch him. Or just put some more food in the cage to distract him.

Lots of hide tanning site recommend water dunking.

Good catch! :clap

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SO and his son are out squirrel hunting right now :lol:

Last time they came home with two. They skinned them and gave the carcass to stepson's GF. Her parents are from Laos and they love squirrel meat. I don't know how they prepare it though. They don't seem to worry about it's health either. But then they eat stuff we wouldn't even dream of eating :sick :lol:

So far SO refuses to even try it. DSS has eaten it, but didn't know it at the time. The GF's parents don't always tell him what is being served for dinner :p

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Well the deed is done. It was too squirmy to get a clean shot so I gave up the BB idea and just plopped the cage in to a rubbermaid container filled with water. As he is saying goodbye to this world I am sharpening my knife...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Well the deed is done. It was too squirmy to get a clean shot so I gave up the BB idea and just plopped the cage in to a rubbermaid container filled with water. As he is saying goodbye to this world I am sharpening my knife...
This is what my sil does when she catches a rat in a live trap. She says it's very effective. Enjoy yer squirrel. How ya gonna cook it? :caf

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I made a total mess cleaning and skinning it :gig

I even watched some youtube videos on how to do it, but I ended up ripping off the tail. They made it look so easy!!!

Had to cut it with a scissors to get it skinned. But it is done and there is usable meat on it. The liver had no spots. I was surprised how much fat there was on it. I guess game bird feed will do that :p

I will have to catch a few of its friends before I start doing any cooking. For now I will brine it a bit then put it in the freezer.

I did learn my knives really suck. Even sharpened I had trouble. Plus I need a butcher knife. Kitchen shears would have been handy too. I have some shopping to do!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
At least it was just a squirrel you did your learnng on ;) Imagine if it was something bigger with more meat that your really wanted ;) and you had to learn what your just learned.