Disputing H1N1

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well, yeah, he is certainly correct on a bunch of points, but it would sure be nice if it could be presented in a more balanced way, not *only* pointing out what's been misrepresented or misstated, and if there were less implication of active malfeasance.

(rest of post edited out, on the basis of "oh, never mind, I give up")

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
No, I know what you mean. It is very one sided as most things are.

I love your scientific spin on things, so please don't edit yourself to please me!

I am not buying anything 100%.... I think there are parts you believe and take into consideration when making important decisions and parts that you just have to let go of and and know that there are two sides to every story.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
As an encouraging sign that despite what one hears on the news, many people *are* keeping cooler heads and thinking things out on their own, I will say that in a very unofficial poll of maybe 20 mothers with whom I've happened to get in a conversation about H1N1 over the past couple weeks at Early Years centers (I didn't start the conversations, it just comes up a lot these days), only *two* were planning on getting their kids vaccinated, one because her daughter has a moderately severe heart defect.

In fact one of the moms told me that her family doctor specifically said that he and his family were not getting vaccinated, he was not offering the vaccine to his patients, and he was actively recommending to his patients that they give it a pass. (I wonder what OHIP would have to say if they knew... :p)

So for all those folks you see lining up at vaccination centers on the news, remember there do seem to be a whole lot (probably a whole lot *more*) who are more skeptical and paying more attention to facts being reported than to general fearmongering.

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
my dh's work is having a nurse set up there to give out the flu vaccine. He is against it. They had an open forum for a health and safety meeting, so the topic du jour was vaccines. He came up with alot of info against any and all vaccines, and the only pros for them were the lining of pharmaceutical execs andthose associated with them)'s pockets.

While mercola might not be the best unbiased info out there, what I find is that posting things like this open up our awareness tso that we can be better informed, and therefor more empowered.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201hyglibcat/020132sinclair/vaccinaion.htm
http://www.vaccinationdebate.com/web4.html

Reaction score
The problem is I'm not a scientist and I have no clue if this wealth of information that is empowering me is worth the paper it's written on. Or is it just another person with their hand in the honey jar being paid to say what they are saying. Being paid to misinform us. I can't ever tell. The internet has opened us up to be misinformed by every yahoo that knows how to use a keyboard.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Longing for the good old days when we were just misinformed by magazines and newspapers?

:gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well so far my co-worker and three of the little kids in our class have had H1N1. They were sick. They had high fevers 101 -102. They are all perfectly well now. It is just the flu after all.

Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Longing for the good old days when we were just misinformed by magazines and newspapers?

:gig
To some extent. You have to admit that the press used to have a certain amount of credibility though. Reporters did check out stories and real journalists do operate by a code of ethics. Reason being, the reputation of the rag stood on their credibility. Sure the op eds could be pure BS, much as they are now. But everyone should understand the difference between an op ed and a story. These websites have nobody to account to. Anyone can develop a website to cater to what a consumer is looking for. You want a website to tell you that everything about a particular group is evil, just look and you shall find. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You got your fix, those people you saw were really purple and the website just confirmed it for you.

It's all an illusion.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
H1N1 is widespread in our area and I have been chatting with other parents at my daughters school and not many have decided to get the vaccine. After long debate and much research I myself have decided against it. There is many children that we know that has had it and they are fine now. I spoke with my Dr. at length about it and his personal opinion was he was not giving his children the vaccine and he will not be offering it in his office. Of course right now he couldnt because only the health depts. are getting it. He would not tell me not to do it, but he wouldnt tell me it was a great idea either. He told me to make up my own mind and do not let anyone influence me. My opinion is that it is too much hype and has many people scared for their children. I believe it has more to do with money than health,...that is just my opinion though. My kids will not be vaccinated. Last I checked we are still living in a free country,...free to make up our own minds. :duc