Dixie Kidded! Twin Does WOOHOO!!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, she popped, on day 154! Twin does, thankfully not identical. Both seem healthy, both got on their feet about 20 minutes (I think, didn't have a watch :p ) after they were born.

Doe#1 Doe #2

So here's the story. Rather uneventful... Sunday morning I popped awake around 5:30 and started puttering around. Went outside to drink my cuppa coffee and saw her waddling aimlessly. From the rabbit hutches, to the chicken coop, to the gate, to the water bucket. Pause to paw at the ground. Repeat.

I went & felt her tailhead. Ligaments were gone. I mean, there were sunken in places on either side of her tailbone, this was gone in a way I'd never imagined.
Let the chickens out, fed & watered everyone. When I opened the chicken coop, in she went. Ok... Darn. She ate well (whole corn, barley, BOSS, minerals and her weekly dose of herbal wormer) but paused several times while eating and just seemed to be staring into the distance.
So I moved all the birthing stuff (feeder, tall water bucket, new bedding) to the chicken coop. Closed the door (wire walls, so plenty of ventilation) and left her alone for a little while. She mostly laid around, occasionally getting up to stretch. She was grinding her teeth a bit and moaning/grunting occasionally.

About 1 there was a definate sense of getting down to business. She got up and started circling, pausing every now & then to push and maaaaa. About 1:30 the bubble first appeared. I was a bit worried, since I didn't see any feet, but rather, what I *thought* was a back end. Nope, turned out it was just the bubble itself. It ended up hanging about to her hocks, then another little bubble appeared. The little white feet and black nose soon showed and by 2pm, she'd had them both. The second came only minutes after the first. The afterbirth took a good bit longer, but eventually it did all detach. She ate most of it *blarg*

She really took it easy on this first timer, she didn't even need me!! I was only there for moral support :woot

I got the first one's nose & mouth wiped off and pushed her toward Dixie's head. She started right in, pushed my hand away, licking her clean. By the time the first was maaaing, the second had arrived. Both sneezed vigorously, several times, so I didn't need the suction bulb.

They both got up for those first few sips within 15 minutes or so. Doe 1 seemed a bit stronger, but neither was really weak, she was a lot more vocal than her sister. They got a good 6-8 ounces each in little sips, if not more, just judging by the size of her udder & teats afterward. Once they laid back down for a nap, I went ahead and milked out about a pint, just in case. I had to work to get that, they had drained her so well. They didn't need it, and wouldn't take the bottle. Both of them found the teat on their own after about 1 hour, I guided them the first few times. Good grief those tails can flag!!

At sunset I moved them to the goat shed. Dixie didn't seem real happy about that, but she let it happen and according to reports from the homebase, they are all still there now and still doing great. :celebrate

I'm so proud!!! I did give Dixie a good dollop of molasses in her water afterward. She didn't drink much before, but after, she guzzled about a gallon in one continuous gulp. DD was right there with me, she said it wasn't nearly as gross as she thought it would be. Guess that settles the questions about where babies come from :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats!! 2 Little doelings...and CUTIES!!!! Glad to hear everything went smooth for ya!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
YAY!!!!! How great is that!!! And "uneventful" is a beautiful word....I'd like to be able to say it next year......

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats, congrats!!! And both girls!!!!

They are cuties, and glad to hear it went well!

Touch those sssoooooooffffttttt little feet and not-so-little ears for me. I love baby goats!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm tickled pink :D
My boss called me grandma all day today. I keep opening my phone and looking at the pictures.

Thanks everybody!
And yes free, it is a GORGEOUS word! I was terribly nervous, this being my first EVER supervised birth of an animal. So very glad it was uneventful!
Shiloh, I'll give em smooches too :)
Glen, the ears oh gosh the ears :love

#1 has ears that are about 6" long *melts*