DIY 100 hour candle

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
newbskywalker said:
That is so cool! I keep these up at the hunting cabin (the store bought kind), and really got irked at how quickly the cost added up. Now, I can do it myself, save money and have them look nicer! Thanks for posting this link newbskywalker - I scrolled to the bottom of the page and found lots of other interesting things to check out too!

newbskywalker

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
newbskywalker said:
That is so cool! I keep these up at the hunting cabin (the store bought kind), and really got irked at how quickly the cost added up. Now, I can do it myself, save money and have them look nicer! Thanks for posting this link newbskywalker - I scrolled to the bottom of the page and found lots of other interesting things to check out too!
Your welcome :) they have lots of cool ideas!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1. It is a lamp not a candle.
2. with that huge wick I doubt that 1/2 pint of oil will last 100 hours.
3 i hate both glass and plastic for the 'fount' the oil container for the safety reasons mentioned. Local hardware store sells all it's flamable liquids in metal cans with screw caps, just put the wick through the cap and you are done.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glass has been used for lamps about as long as we've had glass. How long it will burn would depend on amount of fuel and wick size. I think they look allot better than a wick stuck in a fuel can, but to each his own. I still think it's a cheap way to get some light without electric.

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Personally I would just use an oil lamp for this set up. You can control the flame without putting your fingers in it, and you have a glass hurricane to keep the flame contained. I have four oil lamps, two from my childhood that I use in emergencies. I keep a small supply of the oil on hand as well.

If that set up gets out of control you can't move the wick up and down while it is lit. And then you have black soot all through the room.

I keep paraffin pillars that I make myself on hand, small tapers that fit in a portable candle stick and oil lamps as well. We are good to go in an emergency.

:)