1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  1. Mar 22, 2019
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Almost Self-Reliant

I recently picked up something and made that I haven't in a long time. When I was younger, I always had my nose in a book, but bookmarks were somehow extremely rare to find for me. I learned to make my own by using stick glue and pasting whatever I wanted to a piece of cardboard (one or double sided) then covering it with tape to make it durable and keep it from being messed up. I know it sounds silly, but they kept with me for years.

I was doing a bit of cleaning recently and found an old calendar with beautiful paintings of birds on it. Especially hummingbirds- I love them so much, I wanted to keep that pretty artwork. So I took a piece of cardboard (thinner than average sort of like what they put inside the calendars originally) and pasted the birds to each side and cut them out. I then hole-punched it after taping them and threaded some colorful yarn through it. Ta-da, a repurposed calendar-turned-bookmark set for the seasons. The yarn helps you find your place a bit easier in the book.

I know bookmarks are pretty cheap and easy to come by, but I had to go back to younger days and just make my own. They're not fancy, but they're fun to make and I can pick what I want on it. You can even print designs sometimes and do the same thing to make your own.

IMG_0652.jpg IMG_0653.jpg

sumi and Hinotori like this.
  2. Mar 22, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

Those are wonderful!!!
    I used to make my own bookmarks too - the same technique as you did. I even gave some as gifts once, but they were not really well received so I saved thmm for myself from then on.

HomesteaderWife likes this.
  3. Mar 22, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I did that as a child...great memory! And, very pretty. :)

4. Mar 22, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

I never made book marks, but love to read, and am always scrounging around for something to mark my place. Thanks for the sweet idea.

5. Mar 22, 2019
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Almost Self-Reliant

I know they aren't fancy and I can't cut a straight line if it depended on it, hah! But I really do enjoy these bookmarks and they're personal and made from something repurposed so I'm proud nonetheless. I gave one to my mother-in-law and I think they'd be cute to give away randomly. I am considering perhaps taking religious/bible tract artwork and making some to hand out places?

Lazy Gardener likes this.
  6. Mar 23, 2019
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

Those are gorgeous!