DIY Bookmark

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I recently picked up something and made that I haven't in a long time. When I was younger, I always had my nose in a book, but bookmarks were somehow extremely rare to find for me. I learned to make my own by using stick glue and pasting whatever I wanted to a piece of cardboard (one or double sided) then covering it with tape to make it durable and keep it from being messed up. I know it sounds silly, but they kept with me for years.

I was doing a bit of cleaning recently and found an old calendar with beautiful paintings of birds on it. Especially hummingbirds- I love them so much, I wanted to keep that pretty artwork. So I took a piece of cardboard (thinner than average sort of like what they put inside the calendars originally) and pasted the birds to each side and cut them out. I then hole-punched it after taping them and threaded some colorful yarn through it. Ta-da, a repurposed calendar-turned-bookmark set for the seasons. The yarn helps you find your place a bit easier in the book.

I know bookmarks are pretty cheap and easy to come by, but I had to go back to younger days and just make my own. They're not fancy, but they're fun to make and I can pick what I want on it. You can even print designs sometimes and do the same thing to make your own.

IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0653.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Those are wonderful!!!
I used to make my own bookmarks too - the same technique as you did. I even gave some as gifts once, but they were not really well received so I saved thmm for myself from then on.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know they aren't fancy and I can't cut a straight line if it depended on it, hah! But I really do enjoy these bookmarks and they're personal and made from something repurposed so I'm proud nonetheless. I gave one to my mother-in-law and I think they'd be cute to give away randomly. I am considering perhaps taking religious/bible tract artwork and making some to hand out places?

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just made two more from an old 2019 calendar for my husband - what do you know, there were pretty snow/mountain scenes and each one was from a significant month too! One month was both of our birthdays, and the other was our anniversary month. They're simple little bookmarks but I love making them.

Latest posts