DIY detergent, toothpaste and mowthwash

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Fels-Naptha contains Napthalene. Read up on it once and I don't want to use it, so I'll just grate up some normal soap.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Fels-Naptha contains Napthalene. Read up on it once and I don't want to use it, so I'll just grate up some normal soap.
Really? This is the ingredient statement:Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73
Which one do you think is Napthalene?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Homemaker said:
I've been doing my laundry soap this way for a few years now. I don't use fels naptha though. I just grate up a bar of soap. It works just fine. I even wash my babies clothes with it.

But, I'm curious now what is fels naptha?
Well Fels is the name of the inventor and Naptha was the name of the key ingredient back in the bad old days (Napha has been been removed from the modern formulationt. It is a light petrolium product that used to be used for thinning paint. Its purpose in Fels-Napha was to disolve oily stains. Otherwise it was just a heavy duty soap bar.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
It doesn't nowadays. They state that on the back of the bar. It can be irritating to the skin and of course the eyes if applied in full potency. You wouldn't want to bathe with it! :p Just for cleaning. I've used it to wash deer hides and can't believe how good it makes them smell.

I've seen Ivory recommended for the laundry soap recipe too. If I ever have to wash baby clothes again, I'll mix some up with that instead. Right now, I think I need the tougher stuff to get the grease and grime out of my husband's work clothes.

ETA: After reading several recipes, I guess I should go ahead and use the 1:1:1 ratio on the ingredients.

Latest posts