DIY Laundry Detergent Victory!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Marianne- when you use vinegar in your rinse water, do your clothes smell like vinegar?? I would like to try this since my SO wants "soft" clothes. (one of the reasons I can't line dry her stuff! It makes the clothes too scratchy).

Oh, and I have used blueing in the horse wash for my white pinto- it does have to be rinsed out or the horse turns blue. :th I have since all but given up on washing horses since we don't show anymore. I suppose this year I have to introduce my coming 3yo to the joys of baths just so she learns.

I love that history site!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not Marianne, but we use vinegar as well (have for years because of our hard water) and we've never had any lingering vinegar smell in our clothes.

We also use vinegar in the "rinse aid" cup of our dishwasher--works just like the blue stuff but much cheaper. :)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
We also have hard water. I can't believe I never tried vinegar in the washer!

Wytchy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Marianne for replying. Can I have your recipe for the liquid detergent. I tried making that one time as well but it didn't turn out so well.
I also use vinegar as a fabric softener, because I am chemically sensitive and can't tolerate the scents of regular fabric softeners and it works really well. I put it in a Downy Ball and toss it in the wash. Valmom, I've never had my clothes smell like vinegar either, but essential oils will cut that vinegary smell, especially scents like citrus or lavendar. I don't use those anymore either because of my sensitivity issues, but I used to and the clothes came out smelling great.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We all have similar recipes using mostly the same ingredients:

The recipe I have is to dissolve 1/2 bar of Fels Naptha or Zote in 6 cups of hot water over steady heat (do not boil). I usually pour hot water into a big pot, turn on the heat, add grated soap, then bring just to under a boil. Stir, then turn off heat and allow to sit for about 10-15 minutes. The soap will be melted and you haven't had to babysit it. Then I slowly add 1/2 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup borax while stirring and pour into two empty vinegar or milk jugs (1 gallon size).
I use a basic 2 cup size measuring cup. I think you get approximately 3 1/3 cups per jug. Then I add 2 cups very hot tap water, put lid on tight, give a few vigorous shakes, release lid slowly (the heat will cause pressure in jug). Then I add another 2-3 cups of hot water and repeat the shake, then add remaining water to about 2" from top. You may have to allow suds to settle some before adding the last cup or two. Give one last shake to mix all ingredients. Allow soap to sit in jugs unlidded until cool. Then replace lid and store in laundry room. This will gel.
You use 1/2 cup to 1 cup per load, depending on size and filth of load. Shake the jug a few times to mix before using. I usually have to use the handle of a wooden spoon or something to kind of break that gel at the top when I first use from the jug. After that, it's pretty easy to get it all mixed up as there's more shaking room.

I don't measure the water any more, I just eyeball it and pour half into each jug. It needs to be fairly warm or it will set up firm in your pot. Guess how I know? :lol: But reheating fixed it.

If you use vinegar as a softener replacement, you'll smell it in your washer, but not a bit on your clothes after they're dry.
And in the dishwasher, yes! Keeps the mineral deposits outta da plumbing! Sparkly dishes, too.