DIY Non Toxic Dry Cleaning

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
So when you sweat on it, does it pull back any of the alcohol smell?

Or are you gonna smell like you drank too much all day? I can smell alcohol on people's clothing even after it dries very easily.

Although, honestly, I just wash my silk in the sink real quick. Gentle soap. Hang it right up. Never had an issue handwashing ANY of my "dry clean only".

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neat-O. Enthusiastic presentation, too.

I doubt that the fashion industry tests extensively. I think they label fabrics as conservatively as possible. I have some clothes (from thrift shops) that are labeled for dry cleaning, but they've survived normal washing for a long time.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
abifae said:
So when you sweat on it, does it pull back any of the alcohol smell?

Or are you gonna smell like you drank too much all day? I can smell alcohol on people's clothing even after it dries very easily.

Although, honestly, I just wash my silk in the sink real quick. Gentle soap. Hang it right up. Never had an issue handwashing ANY of my "dry clean only".
Vodka doesn't have a strong smell like whiskey, etc. I have never tried this, didn't know about it back when I was wearing dry clean only clothes. I got to the point of hand washing, too. Only had one dress that ended up shrinking so badly that I couldn't wear it any more. I loved the washable silks!

Now it's just t-shirts and jeans - wahoo!

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We made a bunch of white liquor a few years ago which we used to make homemade extracts- vanilla, mint, orange, lemon, lime. But now we a lifetime supply of extracts, and we still have like a gallon of moonshine left.
Since our total cost for the 5 gallons of liquor was under $10, this will be substantially cheaper than dry cleaning, especially since we have enough moonshine to take care of our dry cleaning needs for, well, ever.

The only thing we ever dry clean are DH's suits (he has two, they are for weddings and funerals, basically) but dry cleaning here is $$$$ since there is zero competition.