DIY Red Pepper Flake

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH love, love, loves anything hot. We have a huge habanero plant in a pot by the front door. (what better way to welcome a guest than offering them a fresh hot-a$$ pepper, lol) This pepper plant has been an over-achiever all season. DH pulls the peppers, dehydrates them and then runs them through the ninja to make pepper powder. He's started experimenting by adding different peppers into the mix for a different flavor profile. So far his fave is habanero/jalapeno. The ratio is about a million habanero peppers to one or two jalapenos, lol.

Technically, his product isn't "flakes" it's a powder - but same principle I suppose.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing same with pimento and paprika types. I use some but, truly can buy a container of product for about price of seed. Now, if another wanted some it would be nice! 👍 You can find plants for jalapeno to buy but RARELY have I seen other two and even seed is scare. I have some poblano already....from a pepper I bought. Don't use a lot of any, just a "I could do that" thing. 😁

This yr I want some leeks and yellow cauli, for kicks. Trying to focus on what I actually eat, not so much.....ooohhh that's nice! Plus. I need a lot of sunflower! I go thru BOSS big time....that's getting real expensive.

Last year I dehydrated paste tomatoes and want more of those. Good for cooking but, found them to be a nibble snack I liked.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I don't think making red pepper flake will save money at all! My SS goal is being less dependent on grocery stores. I enjoy the independent lifestyle and not being exposed to so much marketing/advertisement.

I wonder if my red pepper flake spice will germinate? 😅 When my sister was on an extremely limited budget she found that she could grow many spice seeds. That way she got the spice to use now and the seed to grow for later at the same price.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wonder if my red pepper flake spice will germinate?
We will find out!
20211012_093330.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
don't think making red pepper flake will save money at all! My SS goal is being less dependent on grocery stores. I enjoy the independent lifestyle
Agree!! Which is why we try so many strange things. 😁 oregano for chickens, comfrey, wild berries, and so on. It's about SS.

Like I really don't want to buy another pig...but I want my own fresh pork and the lard, bacon, etc. So I look. 🤪 almost hating myself the whole while! Mirror arguments abound!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Agree!! Which is why we try so many strange things. 😁 oregano for chickens, comfrey, wild berries, and so on. It's about SS.

Like I really don't want to buy another pig...but I want my own fresh pork and the lard, bacon, etc. So I look. 🤪 almost hating myself the whole while! Mirror arguments abound!!
I paid $7/pound to get leaf fat from local pasture raised pig. Raising a couple pigs is starting to sound really good! I couldn't find lard in stores that didnt contain hydrogenated fat, BHT, BHQ 🤢

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pigs leaf fat is beautiful, white lard! Nothing added. Worth the time, for sure. I used the smaller AGH breed, like FEM does. They are considered lard hogs but I found mine to be perfect...enough but not overwhelming at all. A good ratio.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My pigs leaf fat is beautiful, white lard! Nothing added. Worth the time, for sure. I used the smaller AGH breed, like FEM does. They are considered lard hogs but I found mine to be perfect...enough but not overwhelming at all. A good ratio.
A neighbor sells feeder pigs. I should ask what breed they have.

I dont have pig-safe fence anywhere.