DIY Sanitizers for the Home

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is a list of homemade sanitizers that I've had kicking around for a while. I can't remember where I got it, sorry.

Grapefruit Seed Extract:
Works better than hospital disinfectants. Even works against haemophilus influenzae.
For a spray: 30 to 40 drops in 1 quart of water and shake. (I find it helps to use a few drops of liquid soap as the grapefruit seed is oily and tends to separate from the water)

Vinegar:
Kills some germs but not all, and inhibits their growth.
For a spray: 1/2 cup per cup of water. Add some lavender essential oil to make it smell nicer and increase antibacterial properties.

Hydrogen Peroxide:
Mix with equal amounts of vinegar to kill Salmonella, shigella and e coli. Can be sprayed directly onto countertops.

Tea Tree Oil:
Good against staph, e coli, shigella and salmonella
For a spray: 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp liquid soap, 2 tbsp vinegar and 20 drops tea tree oil

Neem Oil:
Good sanitizer and insect repellant.
Mix with castile soap and use a few drops to clean counters. Or add to water in a spray bottle.

Lavender
1 cup water, 20 drops Lavender essential oil, 20 drops thyme or eucalyptus essential oil and 10 drops tea tree oil.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a list of homemade sanitizers that I've had kicking around for a while. I can't remember where I got it, sorry.

Grapefruit Seed Extract:
Works better than hospital disinfectants. Even works against haemophilus influenzae.
For a spray: 30 to 40 drops in 1 quart of water and shake. (I find it helps to use a few drops of liquid soap as the grapefruit seed is oily and tends to separate from the water)

Vinegar:
Kills some germs but not all, and inhibits their growth.
For a spray: 1/2 cup per cup of water. Add some lavender essential oil to make it smell nicer and increase antibacterial properties.

Hydrogen Peroxide:
Mix with equal amounts of vinegar to kill Salmonella, shigella and e coli. Can be sprayed directly onto countertops.

Tea Tree Oil:
Good against staph, e coli, shigella and salmonella
For a spray: 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp liquid soap, 2 tbsp vinegar and 20 drops tea tree oil

Neem Oil:
Good sanitizer and insect repellant.
Mix with castile soap and use a few drops to clean counters. Or add to water in a spray bottle.

Lavender
1 cup water, 20 drops Lavender essential oil, 20 drops thyme or eucalyptus essential oil and 10 drops tea tree oil.
The trick to making an easy, germ-busting hand sanitizer is to stick to a 2:1 ratio of alcohol to aloe vera. This keeps the volume of alcohol at about 60 percent. According to the CDC Trusted Source, this is the minimum amount required to destroy most germs.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The trick to making an easy, germ-busting hand sanitizer is to stick to a 2:1 ratio of alcohol to aloe vera. This keeps the volume of alcohol at about 60 percent. According to the CDC Trusted Source, this is the minimum amount required to destroy most germs.

I could brew upto 48% alcohol. But would need to run it through a still to get up up to jet fuel strength. Even then I doubt I could hit 60% I would need a thumper then I could get up in the 80's present or 160's proof. I guess a guy could double distill and maybe hit 60+ precent though. Some Irish whiskeys are double, even triple distilled. Before they a barreled for aging on charred white oak.

But you know even distilling your own water is illegal in Illinois unless you pay 7k or 15k for a license I can't recall which. The state of Illinois, will sell you cannabis though and gladly take your money for the states' "rainyday fund" PartyOn.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All this alochol talk is making me thirsty
IMG_20200520_191319.jpg