DMSO

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight to the usage of DMSO - Dimethyl Sulfoxide.?

I found a website with folks commenting, I'm looking for more info or personal stories.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Supplements/DMSO.html
(thats what I've been reading)

My hubby bought some of this stuff today, to use on his leg.

A few weeks ago playing softball, he slid into 2nd base and scratched up his leg, he carried on playing no problems, but the leg swelled and swelled and was painful. He finally went to the doctor who sent him to get a scan to check for blood clots, they didn't find any and the doc said it is probably just a very deep bruise. A few days later his ankle started getting the usual bruise markings, red and blue... I had him rubbing arnica on his leg before work and after his shower each night.

Someone told him to buy this stuff, but I've never heard of it, and am a little nervous.

Thanks

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I find it intriguing and freaky. The freaky wins and I won't touch it.

It will carry almost anything into your body instantly, so if you choose to use it, make sure there is NOTHING on your hands or body that shouldn't be taken directly into your blood stream! By itself, it will make you taste a weird fishy taste in your mouth soon after applying it. Too freaky for me. It can't be good. Used it briefly when I worked with horses. Chose not to use it decades ago with very little info available to me....just the warnings and the taste I got from getting it on my hands was enough for me.

And if water in water bottles can get too much plastic in our bodies....we are warned not to re-use them or leave them in a hot car....why wouldn't something like DMSO be that much worse? Stored in plastic?

Eeek.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is also a great difference in quality of manufacture out there, if nothing has changed in the past two years. DMSO is one of those things that, if you choose to use it, you need to really be able to trust who is making it. We found some very questionable sources when looking for it for customers.

I looked into it a bit, but decided not to use it for myself. I have heard of some stories where it worked wonders, but never among people I knew personally.

Hope you find something to help your dh. Guess I've never had a bruise so deep arnica didn't handle it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is a chemical by-product of manufacturing paper. It will draw water to itself...a container of DMSO, left open, can eventually overflow! It is absorbed into the body through the skin instantly, and is often used as a carrier, to bring other substances into the body instantly. That is very dangerous, IMO. Nevermind that it is not likely something we should be exposed to. It gets all throughout your tissues so fast that you can taste it within a few seconds of getting it on your hands! YIKES!!!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
It also has some nefarious uses. I remember stories of people using it to introduce substances into unwilling victims. You could mix it with something (poison, LSD, etc.) and carefully place it on a doorknob. The next person that uses the door would have the chemicals absorbed into their bodies. Real nasty stuff, and a possible source of all sorts of unintended poisoning, if not handled carefully.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting.

I'd never heard of the stuff until today.

It does sound like nasty stuff, that can do all that. Makes me nervous.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I agree with Freemotion. The way it carries everything directly through you skin into your bloodstream makes it very problematic to use. (A lot of horse people use it- I shudder to think what it is putting into the horses' bodies considering they live in stalls in a barn)

I don't have it around- the downside way outweighs the up side.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DMSO is used by more and more naturopathic physicians. I have met doctors who use it via IV. It facilitates the penetration of medicine into the cell and into tumors.

Here is an article I set up a while back on my blog with youtube links about DMSO. It is an important medicine that the conventional docs refuse to use... http://www.healthsalon.org/319/dmso-and-cancer/
As far as putting it on the skin.... if you use too much the skin will feel like it is burning... but no damage will be done. I used it topically for my severe back pain last year. At one point it was the only thing that brought enough relief so that I could sleep.

By the way DMSO will kill bacteria so anything entering the skin with application. Just be sure your hands are clean when you apply it. Do not wear any kind of gloves.