1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plastic up the porch - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

DNS URL Redirect Attack

Discussion in 'Sufficient Self - News, Information & Feedback' started by Nifty, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Feb 21, 2016
    Nifty

Nifty Almost Self-Reliant Administrator

Over the past day or two the site has been attacked by spammers. They were able to redirect our URL to various spam sites.

I've been working tirelessly with the tech team to find the cause and then a solution to the problem. The internet routing of the site's domain name (the DNS) and the URL routing got hijacked.We've since fixed the problem on our end, but it sometimes takes hours and even days for "propagation" of the fix to all the servers around the world to get the info that the change has been made.

It sucks that there are so many people around the world doing all they can to maliciously attack sites and servers. We've been lucky over the years that we've been able to keep most spammers and hackers at bay (even the big companies with all their money and experts have a hard time fighting the scourge), but we're working hard to ensure it doesn't happen again!

2. Feb 21, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

So glad you got it fixed - I was in SS withdrawals yesterday!

3. Feb 22, 2016
    Poka_Doodle

Poka_Doodle Lovin' The Homestead

Glad it is fixed. I was about to message you about it. I got really nervous, our old family ranch's page is different now because the website has been stopped and I was concerned that it was the same here.

4. Feb 23, 2016
    Poka_Doodle

Poka_Doodle Lovin' The Homestead

It was down last night but I understand how hard you are working so I let people on TEG know

5. Feb 28, 2016
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

I've not been able to get on here and post until late yesterday! @frustratedearthmother want to talk about SS withdrawals? lol It's awesome to be back, I missed this...

6. Feb 29, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Me too...and I hope the issues are fixed. I've actually been kind of afraid to even try to get on because when there is trouble afoot, it locks up my computer and I have to do a hard restart to even get back up and running. But, I love this forum...even though like was mentioned in another thread, participation seems to be level at best.