do any of you ever buy things just to "flip it?"

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My hubby's work got rid of some stuff-- a wack of stuff and they sold the bulk of it to the highest bidder. with minimum bid being $10. He got (for me) some heavy duty shelving for my canning goods--6 of them (yay), but he also got big industrial lighting (20), filing cabinets(2), etc for a little over $10 each (like $10.81) He says he can sell the lights for about $50 each. So, if he can sell the lights, we walk away with about an $800 profit.

Also, his dad likes to get a new car every 2 or 3 years. He always trades in his old one and gets a crap price for it at the dealership. This always hurts dh, ---like physically hurts him, lol, cuz you could sell the car private and get an extra $2000-4000 on top of what the dealership would pay. Soooo..... dh wants to buy his dads Honda for what the dealership will pay for it, and then turn around and sell it privately. I know the Honda will sell for a great price, but what I am concerned about is how long it would take to sell it, cuz we would be out that money until it actually does sell.

I'm not a risk taker by any means, but dh is. As far as risks go, this isn't at bad as some things. And even if it takes a month to sell, if we walk away with even a $2000 profit, that far exceeds the cost of borrowing the money used to buy it in the first place.

Thoughts, opinions, anything? good idea? bad idea? I'm on the fence.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am always on the fence wtih Tony's deals.
Most times, most, he makes money. And I could never see the potential of what he bought. I guess Tony sees the man side of selling that I don't..LOL

I just let it happen now.

If I bought a great sewing machine for $15 and say I could sell for $50 he would think I was nuts. He could never see the profit in that machine, cause he doesn't know it or know the value. So if he knows the guy stuff, I say let him have at it!

Let the guy do his thing.

It will work cause he seems to be the type that can make it work. Your hubby sounds smart and knows his strengths!!!!

fingers crossed and a prayer and faith in hubby....I say go for it and leave it alone. Men do have great contributions..hahaha..

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Some people are sales people and some aren't. I arent- I usually hate the idea of even trying to sell something- then I keep pointing out the problems it might have. I can't even sell horses well- the only bargaining I ever did was to insist the horse was not worth what they were willing to pay- they bargained down while I bargained up til I felt the mare was worth what they had come down to. Once a friend almost killed me when I told a buyer my friend had found that I did not think she was experienced enough to handle this horse- I pointed out to her she was a beginner and I had thirty years of experience and still found this horse too difficult. Her trainer took the horse anyway.
The only thing I have every really sold for a profit were houses that the real estate person sold for me.

Reaction score
I'm the same way. Buy high sell low.

As for the Honda. I would buy it and keep it around for a while. Gas is going to go up to 4.00 a gallon within a year I would bet. Last time it was at 4.00 my sons 93 Honda Civic got totaled. We got 4300 for it because that's what they were going for because gas was so high. I just saw a guy gt 2100 for a 933 civic 2 weeks ago. because ga is cheap right now compared to 4.00 a gallon.

I would also advise going on line to NADA and looking up the retail value. Be honest about miles and condition. It will giv you a pretty good idea. Don't use Kelly. It's based on what a dealer can get for the car if a stupid buyer comes in.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a brand new art easel with all the paints and such at the Goodwill a while back. It was 14 dollars. I bought it with the intentions of giving it to my girls but than ran it around in my head. I listed it on craigslist for 50 bucks it sold less than 12 hours later.

I think thats the trick, the turn over time. How long are you willing to hang on to the items. It there a market for what you want to sell?

It's a great way to make extra money if you can sell the stuff.

Good luck!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah, the lights, I don't know, but hubby says they will sell. Brand new they cost around $150 each, and they should last a long time--he says at least about 5 more years.

the Honda, we'll have to put out about $15 000, but should get $18 000 to 19 000. I'm fairly confident that it will sell, it's just a matter of when. Good deal on the easel.

1stepcloser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DH and I once bought pallet loads of TVs from Goodwill for $60. We got about 20 TVs and sold them for $30 each to college students. We cleared almost $500 (a couple of the TVs didn't work properly...always a risk).

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I had a boyfriend when I was in highschool, whose parents bought houses that were extremely underpriced, lived in them for a year or two, fixed them up, and sold them for a profit. He ( the boyfriend) hated it cuz he had to move every coupla years.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you hit a good issue on the sell over Gina

time

how long to hold it, try to sell it, etc. etc.

if too long, Ugh, nothing is worth it!

Tony said 50 chickens are sold at $4 per bird. I want $8 for full laying hens. BUT I say to myself, unload NOW. Is it worth waiting that time to find a $8 buyer. NOPE!

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
you hit a good issue on the sell over Gina

time

how long to hold it, try to sell it, etc. etc.

if too long, Ugh, nothing is worth it!

Tony said 50 chickens are sold at $4 per bird. I want $8 for full laying hens. BUT I say to myself, unload NOW. Is it worth waiting that time to find a $8 buyer. NOPE!
Don't you hate that. A hen that's actually at the beginning of their laying cycle is well worth 10$. Heck if you bought it from a hatchery , you have that much in it.