Do any of you go WITHOUT health insurance? By choice?

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have always had health insurance, except the few times we were too low income to be able to get it. It seems everytime I don't have insurance is when I need it the most. We were on state health care, but now we got jobs so we are going to get health care through my work. We will have full coverage which will cost roughly $350 for a family of 4, which pays 90% and has a deductable of $400. That is until the boys are a bit older and not going to all those appts per year. Once they get out of that "baby" stage, we will go for the lower priced premium with the higher deductable. Put what we save per year into a health account, and each year empty it into our mortgage. That way in case a health related expense comes up, we have the extra money that we would have been paying for the premium to cover, and if not we could put it into the mortgage! :)

HappyHomestead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Being part native, I had access to "free" health care in Alaska. Haven't lived there since '91, and really don't miss the health care. (Saw some major problems both on the doctor and the patient sides).

I really favor homoeopathic alternatives, and even if those options are covered with insurance the coverage is very wholesale, generalized, and not mindful of the fact that we're all unique, and the way we heal is unique.

I do what I can to live a healthful life and trust in God.

S

sunsaver

I've been to the doctor three times in the last ten years. I paid about $100 cash each time. Why would a healthy person spend thousands per year on insurance? I choose not to waste my money. My health plan includes eating a diet high in antioxidants, and avoiding hospitals like the plague.:lol:

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I've been to the doctor three times in the last ten years. I paid about $100 cash each time. Why would a healthy person spend thousands per year on insurance? I choose not to waste my money. My health plan includes eating a diet high in antioxidants, and avoiding hospitals like the plague.:lol:
Well, here in Massachusetts you'd be a criminal for not having insurance, have to pay a hefty fine, get insurance or go to jail. Just what they've got in store for all of us if the voted on and approved health care plan goes into place.

S

sunsaver

Well, i can't pay for health insurance if i'm unemployed. Are they going to lock up all the unemployed people? I think that provision will get revised or repealed.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, Medicaid is set to expand HUUUGELY in 2014- that's one of the key Obamacare revisions- which means if you are unemployed and without significant savings, you'll get Medicaid.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We were just discussing whether or not I would have to be "fired" or not. We have no clue. We might be exempt, we might not. The not knowing part is why nobody seems to be hiring.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Well, i can't pay for health insurance if i'm unemployed. Are they going to lock up all the unemployed people? I think that provision will get revised or repealed.
They definitely fine them, there are people all over dealing with it, including my son, who has moved to California, he was unemployed before he left and had no insurance and yes, they've chased him all the way out there demanding he pay a $2,700 fine. Right. The kid has no money at all, and he's supposed to come up with that - and it's accumulating interest. That whole system is despicable - as for everyone unemployed getting medicare, just who is supposed to pay for that? It costs us almost $200 a week for insurance here in Massachusetts now that they've enacted 'mandatory healthcare insurance'. Coming to a wallet near you....

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love this thread. I am a stay at home mother. My husband paids for the insurance for him and the two kids. It is over $400 a month. He only goes to the doctor once a year if that. My son who is four has only been to the doctor once in two years. My daughter who is 16 months has been twice this year but they were for well checks which I wouldn't do but it is free with the insurance. I haven't had insurance since I lost my part time job after my daughter was born. I did get a sinus infection this winter which I usually get once a winter. I am lucky enough that I have a great family doctor. I just called in and he called in the meds in. They only cost me $20. I have tried to get my husband to drop the insurance and just put the money in a saving account but he won't do it because he is scaried something will go wrong which I understand.

I think alot of the problem is that there are more people without insurance than with it. Most of those people can't or won't paid any of their bills. So people that can pay their bills are paying for them too.

I don't think we will see a change until that changes and I don't see that happening. I just try to keep my family healthy. I believe that being more self-sufficient is an important part. We have our own milk from our cow and goats. I grow a lot of our own food. I try to only buy organic food or food from local farmers. I also cut out a lot of sugar for our foods. I try to use honey instead of sugar in most food. This year we are raises our on meat chickens, ducks and turkeys.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there isn't a day that goes by for someone at some time in their life says 'thank goodness for insurance'----even with the ins. battles and cost, etc. at some point everyone who is covered, says, wow, without ins. I would be bankrupt.

I sure have said it a few times! :lol: