Do I have to (or should I) Pasturize my ACV??

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's been 5 weeks and I think my ACV is done. It made a mother. It tastes acidic, but it's not as strong as I thought it would be. I went ahead and filtered it.

So do I have to pasturize it before I bottle it or will that reduce its healthful properties? If I don't, will it degrade (or will it need refridgeration)?

I've got 3 quarts and I'm looking forward to using it. Just don't want to mess it up now! :rolleyes:

I'm going to try taking it every day with some of my own raw honey and see if I can clear up my sinus problems. I know pasturization kills the good things in honey, so this is why I'm wondering.... Thanks!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
NOOOOOOO!!!! and, I don't know, but i think it is best if you leave it with its mother. do a search on here--raw ACV iswhat ppl pay good money for.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
You can buy store bought vinegar with the mother.. I see no reason why you couldn't keep your homemade mother in with it, as well. It will keep the mother alive and vibrant for your next batch. I'd imagine that as it ages, it would become more acidic and vinegar-y as well.

And yes, pasteurization in all sorts of forms kills all the good stuff. Please don't tell me you cooked it up already..

Edited because I can't type!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nope, I didn't cook it because I was hoping you guys would tell me I didn't have to! :D

I'd read a couple things that said to pasturize it so it would keep....I didn't know if it would spoil if I didn't. This is my first-ever batch. So like most things, it gets better with age then! :cool:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What BB said! :)

Vinegar is the end of the line; it will not continue on to form something else (Think of balsamic vinegar - the original, really good stuff is kept for years/decades, just being transferred to smaller barrels as it slowly concentrates through evaporation. Keep the mother in it; it will keep the mother for the next time you want to make vinegar, and, as BB said, may strengthen the vinegar that you have. No need to refrigerate, though someplace cool would probably be best (cellar for example)
Another note on mother of vinegar - yours has formed in apple cider, but there is no reason at all why you can't use the mother you have to make wine vinegar, or some other fruit vinegar, if you want. The first batch may have a tinge of apple, but the next ones shouldn't.