Do you Dehydrate???

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
What are hamburger rocks?
Hamburger Rocks

Hamburger rocks are small chunks of cooked, dehydrated, fresh beef or turkey burger. They will store on your shelf for two or more years. They are so easy, require only an oven to make, and saves your canning jars.

5 lbs of burger dehydrates into only 1 quart of hamburger rocks!

Fry 5 lbs of ground meat. When cooked transfer to colander and rinse meat under hot water to remove fat. Don't rinse beef burger in the sink. All that beef fat will clog the drain and septic tank. 99% fat free turkey burger doesnt have much fat to rinse off. Use hot water so it will flow down the drain.

Place washed meat back into cleaned skillet. fry again over med/low heat stirring often until you see no more steam. Keep flame low once the rocks are browning up nicely.

Place twice cooked rocks into an oven roasting pan. Turn the oven to 200 F, stirring and turning occasionally as meat continues to dry. One to two hours should do the job. Remove from oven and check for dryness. Store in Jar or Ziploc bag.

If you want to "can" the hamburger rocks for long term storage, preheat sterilized and dried canning jars in the oven at 250F, simmer lids as usual. Make sure your canning lid is dry when you put it on the jar.

Put the rocks into the jars while hot, then seal jars. After 15 minutes or so the jars will cool and you will hear the jar lids "pop" as they seal in place.

You re-hydrate by soaking one cup of rocks in two cups of boiled water. The precooked re-hydrated meat can then be used for tacos, spaghetti sauce, hamburger helper, casseroles. It takes maybe 15 minutes to re-hydrate.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your sagely advice. :D The first thing I dehydrated yesterday was red potatoes. I picked up a huge bag the other day and thought I should save some. I used a mandolin slicer (another good will find) and made them like scalloped potatoes. That's exactly what I though I could make, scalloped pot with some kind of cheese sauce.

I am going to try to save some herbs and other veggies from the garden this year. We'll see how it works.

Thanks again, gina

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just finished going through three books by Mary Bell after hearing her on a public radio station. She is a dehydrating machine! She offers a lot of instruction plus many recipes and uses for your dehydrated food (shredded carrots in carrot bread, tomato leather for use as tomato paste...). I just dried three bananas (which fit on one Nesco sheet) and talk about yummy! Better than candy and no banana waste (the kiddos are getting tired of banana bread...).

I highly recommend her books--I borrowed mine through interlibrary loan.

Vikki

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thanks Keljonma!
Yep, I guess I am making hamburger rocks!
This is the information I have been looking for:
5 lbs of burger dehydrates into only 1 quart of hamburger rocks!

I read somewhere else that you can fill the jars with the dehydrated meat, put the lid on loosely and then heat in the oven for ten minutes. Take the jars out and tighten down the lid. Let them cool and you should hear them pop.