Do you ever get the cooking blahs?!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
For hot summer "I am just NOT going to cook" evenings, I like a big bowl of coleslaw (can have multiple veggies in it, not just cabbage/carrots) plus a couple large handfuls of nuts. I do not know whether that'd be to everyone's tastes though :p

Or something out of the freezer that I've cooked ahead of time. I like *really* spicy curry type things for hot weather. Freeze in suitable size portions.

If you have meatloaf in the freezer, cold sliced meatloaf sandwiches are always good, with pickles.

Or tuna salad or canned-salmon salad with mayonnaise-type dressing and whatever chopped-small vegetables you have a bunch of at the moment.

Or a sandwich (or wrap) with tomato, lettuce, onion and mayo.

Or break an egg into a soup or salad size bowl, scramble lightly with fork, microwave briefly (60-62 seconds in my bowl in my microwave, depending on egg size) then put in a small tortilla with salsa and lettuce to make an egg wrap.Pat
Yummm...me likes....:D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I thought you considered bacon to be more along the lines of "oxygen and water" than a mere food group, OFG :)

Kala, that's what my kids have practically every weekday morning for breakfast, too (minus the lettuce usually)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we change up eating during summer and hot weather.
we tend to eat a fuller breakfast and lunch, then dinner is whatever...usually BBQ and not many sides, just salad/veggies

very simple dinners. I hate cooking. No patience so slap some meat and veggies on a plate and it is dinner.

if I want fancy dinners I go out to eat at a resturant usually....when the mood hits.

I hate those days you look at all the food in the house and nothing appeals to you..been there, we all have lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grilled cheese sandwiches! With (bows to OFG) BACON in the middle!!!!!! They cook up in minutes in an iron skillet, take no time to prepare and they are good. Yumm.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
depending on what we have, we have a few 'end of the cupboard' meals, like when we really have to shop...

Omelettes. We love them, and the kids tolerate them. Dh gets onions and mushrooms, and peppers in his (or if we are really out of stuff, a dollop of salsa). I like mine plain, or with spinach in them, whatever. My girls like them with ketchup, and DS will whine unless I scramble up a few eggs for him.. he only likes eggs scrambled.

Pancakes (usually with eggs on the side, and fruit)

Ramen and sandwiches,

spaghetti. spaghetti goes really well with everything, fish, meatballs, meatloaf, chicken, tofu, etc.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I used to get them all the time, until I joined the forum. Then I began to see all the fun interesting things everyone was doing with their diets and food. Then I began printing and started a binder.

Now when I get the blahs, I know it's just because I need fresh inspiration. So ditto on what others have said, I'll cruise through here, through my notebook, or through the library. Also, cdkitchen.com and allrecipes.com are easy and searchable by ingredient.

S

sunsaver

I think im gonna love this forum. There's so many diverse subjects. I love growing and cooking food, and i like to read about other peoples food habits. After watching the documentary "Food Inc." i stopped eating anything from a box or a bag. I still eat fried cheese burritos, just not with sodium silicate, calcium cloride, sodium nitrate, titanium dioxide, etc. I eat almost zero corn products, and only home made bread, but it's easy for me because i grow veggies year round, have lots of free time, and love to cook. I think anybody who watches "Food Inc." will want to become more self sufficient.

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
we change up eating during summer and hot weather.
we tend to eat a fuller breakfast and lunch, then dinner is whatever...usually BBQ and not many sides, just salad/veggies

very simple dinners. I hate cooking. No patience so slap some meat and veggies on a plate and it is dinner.

if I want fancy dinners I go out to eat at a resturant usually....when the mood hits.

I hate those days you look at all the food in the house and nothing appeals to you..been there, we all have lol
This is exactly what we do! Supper during the summer is very light or BBQ, but we eat more for breakfast while it's still cool. :)

I have been known to make Macaroni salad or potato salad, etc either the night before or in the morning after breakfast so on a really hot, lazy day I have something I can just pull out of the fridge and serve.

Also, you can't go wrong with a plain ole sandwich ;)