Do you grow fruit trees or berry bushes?

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grow a fruit orchard along with many different berry bushes..

I preserve or eat fresh as much as I can from them. I mostly like to can pie fillings, dehydrate, make juice and make jams or jellies.

My apple trees haven’t given me any apples yet so I forage for them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have two fig trees, two persimmon trees, 3 lemon trees, 1 lime, and a pomegranate tree. The lemon trees and the fig trees produce more than we can use. Love it!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have fig, Asian pear, 1 lime tree, and 1 apple tree producing. 2 lime, 1 olive, 5 apple, a pawpaw, and a peach tree not producing yet.

Scupernong and muscadine grapes producing. Blueberries and blackberries just starting to produce.
Black walnut and pecan trees producing but need fertilizing and care.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we have raspberries that are producing but still ramping up to full production, 2 chokecherries, 2 apple trees that give me a decent crop every other year alternating with 2 yellow plum the other years. We also have a couple of baby wild plums, a peach, and 5 hazelnuts. Other than those, I forage for elderberries, apples from some old trees in abandoned areas, and more chokecherries.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Britesea , what do you use the chokecherries for? We had those as a kid, but mainly used them to trick friends...

FEM, I'd grow a pomegranate just for my mom. She lived many years in southern California as a kid, and loved them. I hadn't even thought of them, but I might be too far north.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
400 blueberry bushes. raspberries pretty much died off from a virus over the last 2 years. :( 1 mature apple tree of whatever-no-name baking apples. We've been planting fruit and nut trees, but many years until they mature. Also have nannyberries and a native bush cranberry planted - I think 25 of each and many years left for them to mature as well.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@milkmansdaughter the only thing I've done with the chokecherries is make a jam with it, but I've seen recipes for making juice or syrup or vinegar with them, and also using the juice to make a chokecherry tart. Chokecherries are very closely related to black cherries

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
400 blueberry bushes. raspberries pretty much died off from a virus over the last 2 years. :( 1 mature apple tree of whatever-no-name baking apples. We've been planting fruit and nut trees, but many years until they mature. Also have nannyberries and a native bush cranberry planted - I think 25 of each and many years left for them to mature as well.

Holy moly, 400 blueberries bushes do you own a u-pick or sell your berry’s?

I’ve never heard of nannyberries..I want to add a couple cranberry bushescould you tell me do they produce a lot and is the taste the same as the store bought cranberry? I forgot that I also have 2-Nanking cherry bushes..

I have a chokecherry and tried the berries right off the bush..all I can say is it tasted pretty sour..

Latest posts