Do you heat your coop?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been very concerned about my hens, being this is the coldest winter we've ever had since I've lived here (7 years)...I mean, right now, at 8:30am it is only 19 *F.

Last year we rigged up a 250W heat lamp that hangs in the rafters over the roost, maybe we used it a dozen times last winter. This winter we've used it almost every night! :barnie

Now I'm talking to DH about insulating the darn thing (just 2x4 construction with plywood walls & vinyl siding right now).

What do ya'll up North do? I know there's a fair number of Alaskans/Minnesotans here...do you go by survival of the fittest, & if the chickens freeze to death they just go to freezer camp quicker? Do you ever have them freeze to death? :/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We don't heat our coop, and we have been in the single digits a few times. We do heat their water to keep it from freezing, but that's it. So far we have had no problems.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am not far from you.

My hens lived in a 3 way open sided giant cage with outside runs.

As long as they have wind block, good food, etc. they should be fine in our NC weather....I have had about 300 chickens each time for over 15 years now rotating thru that coop and not a one ever died from cold. Don't waste your money! :)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Somewhere around here or on BYC is some very good advice from pat and chickens about heating and ventilating coops.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No heat here. My birds can acclimate just like wild birds. Even with the frigid cold, they spend very little time in the coop. They only go in if it's super windy or snowing hard.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a born worrier (that goes along with being a born pessimist :lol: ), so I always wonder whether I'm going off the deep end, especially regarding my critters.

The coop is a big open space, & there's only 4 of them so I wonder if they can huddle together enough to keep warm on the roost. Frankly, when we built the coop I was more concerned about keeping them cool in the NC heat, so the space under the eaves is open (except for hardware cloth).

But, sounds like if no one else has ever had this problem, I must be worrying for nothing! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We've been in the teens for the most part all winter long and last year was just as bad. I have cold hardy breeds so they never show any discomfort, even living in my very drafty, very ancient hen house. I just make sure their litter is deep and stays fluffed and they seem to enjoy lingering in there when the snow is too deep to navigate.

I don't believe I would ever insulate or heat a coop, as the humidity becomes a problem, as well as the chickens having to adapt constantly to the temps in the coop vs. the temps in their open run or free range.

Just like an outside dog adapts to temps by developing a deeper and more insulating pelt, my chickens seem to adapt in the same manner. They are never so beautiful as they are in the winter....fluffy and shiny!

In all my years I've never heard of a chicken freezing to death, no more than you would imagine a wild bird would freeze to death. I'm sure it may happen in extreme subzero temps to sick or crippled birds, but I've never heard of it in my lifetime and in my area.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
the only reason we have a heat lamp on in the hen house is that two of my favorite little hens are molting to the point they are mostly bald. once they get some more feathers in we'll turn it out.

your hennies are probably ok - remember they sit on their feet and snuggle together. i think i read someone too that they lower their body temp at nite to help them adjust.

we have had EXTREMELY cold nites (like - 20*) and we've had a light on mostly b/c we had a roo with a long comb and he got terrible frostbite.

its ok to worry! its good to be cautious and ask questions

:)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Heck no I don't heat my coop! I do shut the windows so there's not direct breeze, but there is still open rafter ventilation. As long as they have plenty of food they're good to go. Mine are all adults though, and luckily the gals finished molting before it got really cold!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My coop is actually just one end of a rough-cut sided barn, really too big of a space, so drafts are my main concern. I use big sheets of cardboard, stapled to the wall to insulate the inside walls on the two sides facing the prevailing winds. I leave the back wall alone to help with ventilation. The cardboard is only up during the winter. The good thing about it is that it stops the wind, but also allows for any moisture to escape. The chickens also find it very entertaining to peck holes in it! :p

Drafts can take away their body heat quickly, but stale air and the accumulation of ammonia from their droppings will make them sick faster than anything. You never want to insulate a coop until it's airtight for that reason. Ideally, my space should be a bit smaller to hold heat, but with 31 hens they do pretty well to bundle together and keep warm.

Another thing that helps is having wide perches so that the birds can sit down comfortably and keep their feet up underneath them. I use 3-4" diameter sapling trees, but a 2x4 laid on the flat side with the edges rounded off is very comfortable for them too. Combs will be more susceptible to frostbite if there is moisture in the air--another bad side effect of poor ventilation.

I do have a red heat bulb hanging over the waterer that comes on in the middle of the night, but it doesn't do much to heat the coop. It just helps keep their water from freezing.