Do YOU need to go gluten free?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed that with many people I'm acquainted with and the gluten free.

Mom tried mixed flour types and rice noodles but has never been very happy with the outcome. She finally figured out a mix that works for banana bread and cupcakes for the two or three times a year she wants something sweet. Mom has a wheat allergy and it slowly developed and got worse over the years. She cannot cheat like so many people do. One taste and she gets a rash within minutes and risks anaphylaxis.

Mom just gave up all processed foods last year. Her triglycerides drop over 200 points and her cholesterol levels became great. The only starch her and dad eat now is potatoes. Everything else spikes their blood sugars to much and they are both diabetic.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was told that people react differently to starches. Your mom and dad can eat potatoes without too much trouble, I can eat corn (yay for popcorn!) although it's getting harder to find the non GMO stuff. I can also eat my husband's whole wheat sourdough bread, in moderation, apparently because of the long fermentation process he puts it through.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd heard that sourdough bread is good on not spiking sugars. I've thought about doing it because I have issues with the blood sugar spikes and am trying to keep off the diabetes.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And there are so many other things you can make with your sourdough! Any baked item can be made with sourdough if you baking soda as your leavening agent (it reacts nicely with the acidity of the sourdough)!

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been gluten free for close to a year now and having Fibromyalgia brought me to the place of trying out what makes it worse. my flare ups I use to have are way down and I am pretty sure it's the gluten free and cutting back on all grains. Wonder why the medical professionals don't tell you this stuff. I have found gluten free baking mix so if I have to make a dessert I use this instead of the flour with gluten in it. This way I can have a small serving and not suffer,and no one is the wiser.