Do you save seed?

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I’m new to saving seeds as of the past couple years.. I can’t tell you how much money I’ve spent over the years on seeds as well as buying plants from the farmers market.

I’m on a mission this year to learn to save seed from as many plants as I can.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've saved the easy ones-- tomatoes, peas, favas, beans, cucumbers, melons. I haven't tried squash because they are real hussies- they'll cross with any other squash in the area and I don't have the ability to keep them quarantined. I understand the brassicas can be a bit of a pain as well but I wouldn't know.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am learning! I have saved lots of hollyhock seeds, columbine, dill, random nursery flower that turned out to be an invasive thorny weed (whoops). I tried onion (forgot to harvest the seed). And managed to get some heirloom bean seeds harvested after only 2 plants survived the ground squirrels.
I bought seeds from Baker Creek this year because I feel ready to save seed from other veggies.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've always saved as much vegetable seed as I could and have also been known to buy a fruit or vegetable just so I can get the seeds from it, vs going out and buying seeds! Most vegetables are easy to save seeds from, thankfully. It saves you so much money if you can do it this way.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed, I did onion seed by not harvesting onions. Left them in the ground over winter. Second year, then made a big allium flower ball and set seed. Then forgot to collect the seeds, silly me!

If I have a good crop I'll do that. If not and I have any that start sprouting while in storage I'll plant them come next spring to get some seed.

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saved catnip, Cheyenne spirit echinacea, Baja echinacea,yellow echinacea,calendula,petunia,bleeding heart,zinnia,basil,kale,chive,broccoli,walking onion tops,bee Balm,mint,bush bean,pole bean,cucumber is what I can remember off the top of my head.

I’ve had great success at the echinacea,petunia,Calendula,zinnias,basil,chives,bush beans and pole beans...the others not so much or not at all.

I buy most of my seed from rareseed.com.

I’m trying to see if the catnip seed will germinate.

Anyone have any advise on selling live plants? I know that I will have so many echinacea plants that I won’t be able to find room for them all.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes i have a lot of beans and i keep getting more.

i also have peas, bunching onions, and other things too, but we don't keep seeds for some of our garden plants because we have little space to start spring plants so i don't save the tomato, peppers, or onions. we also get some other plants from the greenhouse to plant out even if we do have seeds for them because the greenhouse plants are further along so we like to have a few of those for earlier harvest until the others come along later.