Do you Sprout????

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, I have been working on my SS and emergency supply cabinet and have been looking into sprouts. Mung, alfalfa etc.... I read a ton about them and watched a few You tube videos. I wonder though, would my family actually eat them. I guess if that was all we had, probably.

My plan is to start a basic jar batch of mung beans, add them to a dinner salad. You know sneek them in.

Any sugestions? I would love to hear some opinions. g

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OH I loooove Alfalfa sprout sandwiches!! A couple slices of bread, some mayo, load it with sprouts...WelLA! Perfectly delicious lunch!! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great on pita bread! My folks used to do this...be careful they don't get moldy... :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Love them! I almost always have some growing. I bought a kit with stacking boxes for doing more than one type at a time. I got it at Home Depot last year. We are lucky enough to have a Food Co-op in town and I can buy seeds for sprouting of many types in small amounts. My favorites are broccoli and radish. I love them with hummus on a pita.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All those ideas sound great. My kids are really easy when it comes to trying new things. I just need to fit it in to my schedule.

Henrietta23, how do you store your beans/seeds? Fridge, freezer? How long do they normally last? I bought a variety pack for my emergency cabnet but I am not sure I want to open them. Maybe I'll try and pick up a smaller quantity at local health food store. I would hate to open big pack and not use it fast enough.

Thanks all. :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
All those ideas sound great. My kids are really easy when it comes to trying new things. I just need to fit it in to my schedule.

Henrietta23, how do you store your beans/seeds? Fridge, freezer? How long do they normally last? I bought a variety pack for my emergency cabnet but I am not sure I want to open them. Maybe I'll try and pick up a smaller quantity at local health food store. I would hate to open big pack and not use it fast enough.

Thanks all. :)
I have some in an opaque air tight container in the pantry. I have to confess the really nice thing about the co-op set up is that I don't have to store them. I shop there once a week anyway so I can buy just enough and not worry about them getting old. I usually buy twice as much as I need and put the extra in a baggie inside this canister. It has a rooster on it! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ha!! That was funny, if is't good enough for the cats its good enough for my sprouts. I can't imagine rigging that contraption. I think it would be easier just to rinse the jar and pour the h2o out. and what happens when you need to go? Someone had way too much time on their hands. Thanks for sharing. g

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ha!! That was funny, if is't good enough for the cats its good enough for my sprouts. I can't imagine rigging that contraption. I think it would be easier just to rinse the jar and pour the h2o out. and what happens when you need to go? Someone had way too much time on their hands. Thanks for sharing. g
I guess you have to have more than one bathroom!! We'd be in trouble here.....:cool: