Documentaries

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been really watching a lot of documentaries lately... There are three I would highly suggest to all...

Starting with the one I liked the most was:

Fresh

This was a documentary looking at the way we as americans view food. Starting from a perspective of the conventional farmer moving through people farming sustainably. There is large scale sustainable farms to small 3 acre farms in cities. It also explores the idea of how to market this food and the disconnect from farmer to consumer. It also looks at the seasonality of fresh food. Highly recommend.

The next two are kind of a mix of the above one but are both very well done and kinda show that there is a push in this directions because of all this interest in the topic.

Ingredients

This documentary looks at the relationship that local farmers are building with restuarants and local people. How people realize that not all vegetables and meat were created equal. This looks at CSA's and how we should be placing more value on the quality of our food vs the price and quantity.

The final and I think I thought was a little more thought provoking than the one above.

Broken Limbs

This one was made by a man that grew up in the apple capital of the world. This takes place in WA. How the land was the best in the world to grow apples but because of large scale production apple prices plummeted. At one time so many people owned farms and eventually couldn't make money. This is where I thought "oh no not another whiny poor me documentary". BUT to my pleasant surprise he goes onto to start researching how farming can be economical. He highlights all the promising things going on in local grown foods.

I hope some of you can see these. I would say they are very related but all stand alone with their own message. Idk if any you have netflix but they are all online there. (you can get a free month trial).

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. The two latest ones I've watched are "Bag It" and "Small Farm Rising". Other favorites are "Dirt-The Movie", "Food Inc." (but everyone's seen that) and "Botany of Desire".

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will check them out. I started to watch food, inc but I really don't care for those doom and gloom type of films. A lot of documentaries come off as there X amount of things wrong in the world and never really show solutions.

thanks

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chemerical is very good

Homo Toxicus

Both are very surprising

Fat sick & nearly dead

Food Matters

other good ones