Documentary to watch

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I watched this documentary last night called "Escape from Suburbia". It was about the peak oil/global warming crisis. The part that really got to me showed a 14 acre plot that the mayor of LA had "given" to South Central after the Rodney King riots. This land was used to grow an awesome community garden that fed 350 families. However, the current administration sold the land in a shady deal(to build a warehouse, just what LA needs). The community fought to keep it...to no avail. It was so sad to see that dozer plowing under the crops as the people screamed and cried while the police beat protestors with thier clubs. But, thats the Man, always selling the little guy down the river for a buck or two. Anyways, its a very good documentary if ya'll get a chance to watch it sometime.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That's really depressingly short sighted. What way to make people happier than to connect them to land and their own food? I can really empathize with their anger and grief :(

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is disgusting. You would think that the stupid mayor would have at least waited for people to harvest before taking the land. I bet he doesn't get voted in again. On the other hand, he will probably make a great deal more money with shady deals down the road. How can he sleep at night? I would like to think that that type of thing wouldn't happen here. You never know though.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea that is sad !!!

but someone always feels that if a piece of land is dirt, just dirt, then it is not productive. So build asphalt and concrete on it and it is productive. Insane.

Well in the end all this thinking of building on every inch of land will bit us in the butt.......cause when we paved over everything!....where will food come from?

UT OH...makes me think about that old movie Soylent Green where they are eating people chips. UGH

eggzettra

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Tommywalnuts - love your avatar, was really sad when they cancelled it, I heard though that the creator of it still wants to make a movie of it. Didn't realize it was based on a true story.....

Back to topic:
Must see documentaries in my book:
Enron
The Corporation

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"Escape from Suburbia" is actually a sequal to the documentary "The End of Suburbia". I thought both were great and they certainly affected me. I highly recommend them both. If you subscribe to Netflix, you can watch Escape from Suburbia instantly on your computer, but you have to get End of Suburbia through the mail.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
annmarie

I'll have to look for the companion documentary. It was so very sad, but like I said, thats the Man.

eggzetera

Yeah, most of the main characters on Deadwood were based on real folks. Wild Bill, Calamity Jane, Bills friend Charlie Utter. Bullock was real, later befriended a young easterner named Teddy Roosevelt and helped him make Yelloestone a nat'l. park. Swearingen(guy in my avatar) really ran a saloon called the Gem, with Dan Dority(btw he's my avatar on BYC) as his henchman. I have heard the movie rumors, would love to see it happen.