Does Anybody Know Anything About Cornsilk Tea?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been reading up on cornsilk tea and the harvesting directions say to harvest the silks before pollination has taken place. Really? Really? Then I get no corn!! :hit Why can't I use the silks that are on the corn when I shuck it? Are they not as good? Anybody know?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: Marianne, I clicked on your response thinking you had posted an answer, but all I got was this: :pop :lol:

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can harvest the silk after you harvest your corn. I cut off the dry silk and keep the pretty golden silk for tea.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I"m not saying I'm right, cuz I'm pretty new to it, but I just used the whole thing. As far as looks go, I'd say it would look better to cut off the dry, outter silk though. My textbook didn't specify. My grandpa used to grow a lot of corn and if I had access to that amount of corn today, I'd do as Cornwoman said. But just buying maybe 20 cobs, I saved it all.
I just changed the way I buy corn....its no longer in a can or frozen, cuz I lose the benefit of the silk.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not into herbal teas but I would think that if It was really important your reference would tell you WHY it was important. If you had a whole cornfield to work with the loss of a few ears wouldn't hurt. take one ear per stalk and all the goodies would go to the other ears on the stalk and might not effect your total yield.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll! Our HEB grocery store has corn 4 ears for $1, but with a limit of 8. I bought some yesterday and will go in a few minutes to get some more. I have corn growing in my small garden, but It is still some time away from being corn! I'll let ya'll know how it goes with the store bought corn.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I cut off the dry silk because there could be a bird splat that yucked it up. :sick just how my mind works.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I wound up buying 64 ears of corn, put 14 packages of 4 each in the freezer and ate some too. I cut off the brown silks and carefully unwrapped the ears and saved the silks. I spread the silks on wax paper on the dining table to dry.