Does anybody know...?

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well since I've had my cable cut off, DH decided he didn't want the big tv anymore. So we want to donate it to charity. But the dern tv is so big and heavy that there is no way for us to take it to the Salvation Army. Does anybody know if any charities will come to your home and pick it up? Its a good tv, color is a bit off, but I'm sure someone else would like to have it.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Depends on the charity... where I used to live, the St. Vincent De Paul charity did home pickups for things all the time... used to always see their truck around, taking furniture and such.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DAV - Disabled American Veterans is a charity, and they used to pick-up from residents housing, but, I do not know if they still do that.........if you have that particular charity where you live.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Unless you feel hinky about having someone come to your home, have you considered listing it as "free" on freecycle, craigslist, local classified ads, church bulletin, that sort of thing? Or just let everyone you know, know that they could have it if they've got a truck?

Good luck,

Pat

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yahhh I don't really want anyone coming to my house off of craigslist. I posted a ticket for sell a while back and got weird emails and I dunno, just some odd people out there. I don't know its soo heavy I can't really help move it, and no one we know is available to help until at least Monday because of the game. church bulletin board is a good idea though! :)

Thank you everyone for the suggestions :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
There are probably several charity's in your area. Call a few and ask. Most don't advertise they pick up or people would use them as a trash hauling service.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a local charity, St. Andrews (named after a Catholic church that sponsors it,) that has thrift stores and they will come pick stuff up. Obviously, you don't have this same charity where you live. But I would suggest you call around to a couple of churches and start asking. When you find a charity who will pick it up for you, they should also bring you a donation receipt for a tax deduction.

Cassandra

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Laughing because we have the same problem. The people who lived here before us left one of the old bigscreen TV's in the house. My DH and I (neither of us a little wimp) could barely budge it. It's still here. We couldn't get anyone to haul it and after giving away a "free" hot tub we weren't ready to go down that road again.

I halfway threaten to smash it up with a sledgehammer and haul it off piece by piece.

If you find a way to get rid of yours I'd love to hear it!