Does anyone belong to a local food co-op??

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a local food coop that I am considering becoming a member of. You pay for a membership and the store offers locally grown foods as well as a huge selection of organics. I was in ther today and love the variety of bulk food/spices available. My concern is... do I really want to spend the money for a membership when I already buy alot of my stuff locally. I shop at the farmers market but it is not open year round. I am looking to get the opinion of people who are currently members of a co-op. Does it work well for you?? What do you like most. What do you like the least?? Thanks in advance!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
If the membership price is right I would do it. Its nice to be able to get that variety of food and especially the organic.I
I haven't heard of one in our area but I would like to find out.
The only thing that I know of in this area is the CSA shares where you purchase fruit and vegetables in advance from local farms (your choice of who you want to do business with) and you pick up your weekly share of produce for like 22 weeks of the year.
Its a good way to support our local farmers and get good produce. Between what we grow and the pick your own places this fills in the gap.
I think the food co op would be a great thing for the winter months.
I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with this as well.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
My experience is that I can get things there that are not available other places but the prices are not competitive. Maybe it would be good to check that before paying for the membership. If their prices are close to the other places, membership is a good thing- it supports a lot of local places and charities in my area.

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We joined our local (60 miles away!) coop because for us it is the only option for many of the foods we eat. We often have to travel to that locale anyway, so we bring ice chests to stock up on favorites. Our membership allows us to purchase at the marked price; otherwise there is a 10% added charge. We can also order in bulk for an added discount. I love our shop!