Does anyone do their canning in jars that have glass lids?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Like this?

gem-jars.jpg

gem-lid.jpg

I just scored 72 of these babies on kijiji, Canadian "Gem" jars (lid size is in between standard and wide mouth) plus extra of the zinc rings and glass lids. I have other Gem jars that I just use normal metal lids with, but I'm thinking that these beautiful glass lids work like the Tattler lids (maybe where they got the idea?)

I have done some online searching (found this bit of info posted by Krytes42 near the bottom of the page) and I'm thinking of trying it with at least some of the 40 lbs of pears I just bought :)

Any thoughts? Experiences?

I know I can get the rubber rings because they sell them next to the usual metal flat lids everywhere they sell canning supplies here.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I have never seen them but they are very cool!!!!!! I want to know more about them also!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow. Never seen any like that either!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ya, I've never seen them before, but I think they're pretty snazzy. I took one of my bale type canning jars and just put raw carrots and vinegar in it to sit on a shelf (never to be eaten) in our kitchen years and years ago. Silly thing still looks good! I'd probably put some green split peas, beans, whatever in them and use them for pretties.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have about 150 qt and pt, glass dome type canning jars with the wire bails, clear and a greenish colour,that use the rubber seals I have seen the type you posted though, very interesting...

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've seen a few at the old antique mall near me but could not afford them! Those are gorgeous! I would get new rubber rings and use them for all the baking supplies and herbs and spices that I use. All my good stuff has to go into glass or I get mealy moths.
you got a great buy there!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have never seen those before. I do have bale jars but only use them for dry goods or ferments.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I'm finding as I google deeper that these were quite common here on the Canadian prairies through the 80s, that a lot of people still have and use their Gem jars, and that there are people around who are still using the glass lids--thus why the rubber rings are still commonly available. Many have switched to the modern lids as per current canning guidelines and ditched the zinc rings and glass lids so the lids are rarer than the jars. I have other Gem jars that came with modern rings and I've just used them with modern lids, but since I now have the 72 new ones that came with these glass lids and zinc rings (plus extra lids and rings) I figure it is worth trying something different.

I'm going to pick up a box of rubber rings tomorrow and then try a few of the glass lids when I can my pears in a couple of days (need to ripen just a bit before I put them up), and then I'll report back! Maybe this will be a cool money-saver :)

I keep all of my kitchen cupboard staples in glass as well, mostly in various oddball peanut butter, cream, and canning jars plus a few IKEA kilner jars on the countertop.

pantry1.jpg

Still interested if anyone has any experience/advice too! :)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have quite a few of those, mine are Mason's Improved - but I only use them for storing dry goods as mine are pretty old and I wouldn't trust the lid. I had no idea you could still buy the rubber rings. Hmmm, maybe I should try canning in one, the lid comes off anyway after it seals. Or maybe I'll wait and let you experiment and report back! :D