Does anyone have a simple recipe for making blueberry jam or preserves

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 10 lbs. of blueberries and am planning to make and can jam. I am looking to use slightly less sugar. Also I would like a recipe for blueberry pie filling to can. So if anyone knows some good recipes I would appreciate them. Thanks!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
BLUE BERRY JAM
4 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup lime juice
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon grated lime rind -- optional
1 package powdered pectin
4 cups sugar

In a large pan, combine the blueberries, lime juice, water, pectin and lime rind (if using). Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in the sugar and while constantly stirring, bring to rolling boil again. Keep at a hard boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim foam from top if needed. Quickly spoon into clean jars and seal.

I too was looking for a recipe
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/7/Blueberry_Jam4471.shtml

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks ticks! I'll be canning tomorrow. I'm not sure about lime juice though. Has anyone done this with lime juice?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I've done sauce with lemon zest and lemon juice, and it was wonderful! It enhanced the blueberry's citrus flavor. I'm thinking lime would be similar.

MrsCountryChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I got this recipe from BYC, I haven't tried it yet tho. Here it is:

SPICED BLUEBERRY PRESERVE

This is a mildly spiced jam, great for breakfast, and marvelous, too, served with wild or domestic fowl or with game. Do not make it with wild huckleberries if it has been a dry summer as the little berries will become like hard pellets that no amount of cooking or aging will soften. Wild berries, if juicy, make a particularly delicious preserve. But you can never go wrong as to texture with cultivated ones.

You will need:

1 quart washed, stemmed and picked-over blueberries
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine ingredients and simmer until the skins are tender and the preserve has reached the desired thickness. Test for thickness by putting a small bit of the boiling jam onto a refrigerated plate and popping it right back into the refrigerator to cool fast. If it's still running all over the plate, simmer the jam awhile longer, then test again. When its thick enough, take it off the stove at once. Pour it into jars and seal them with 2 thin layers of paraffin and a lid. This should give you 4-5 eight-ounce glasses. Or WBC for 15minutes.