Does anyone have this recipe or one like it?

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many years ago I pulled out a recipe from one of the women's mags(family circle, woman's day,better homes and gardens) I don't remember which one(I think fam.cir.) It was on a family that fed dinner to their family of 6 on 1.75 for a week!

In the recipes they cooked all day sat. They made a basic meat type mixture using, onion, celery,zucchini , carrots(I think). They then divided it and added hamburger to a pot with a third of the veggies and some kind of tomato(sauce, diced???) and made spaghetti sauce. This was divided in half to make a batch of chili. Another third of the veggies was mixed with hamburger to make salbury steaks, using some of the spaghetti sauce. I can't remember the other meals. It made 7 meals! They put them in the freezer and gave cooking time for thawed AND frozen meals.

I made this a couple of times and raved about it to my mom. Her fax wasn't working so I sent her the pages. SHE LOST THEM!!! I have tried going online to each mag and looking in their archives with no luck.
Does anyone remember this or have something similar? If I could remember the ingr. and the other meals I would be easy to recreate. Even without, this month I'm going to come up with something.

Monica

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Sounds interesting...but I haven't heard of it before.

I wonder if you were to search terms like creative leftovers or 3 meals in one etc, you may hit on some ideas.

My favorite combos are roast chicken with rice and veggies morphed into chicken tacos/tostadas then into chicken tortilla soup using the carcass and the rice and veg from the first night.

You could also do up a big pot of spaghetti sauce or marinara have pasta with the sauce, then make chicken Parmesan using the sauce then make lasagna. I don't know that I would want all of that in one week...but you could freeze some of it and combine it with the roast chicken combination.

Good Luck finding your recipe!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace- Thanks for the search ideas. I do already do like you do . Yes, When I used to make this we didn't eat it all in one week either. I used them over the month.

Monica

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sorry I never heard of it

but wow to make 7 meals from one hamburger mixture starting!!

It makes sense cause browned hamburger can be made into so many different types of things using that one mixture and then adding different seasonings.

if you find it again you be sure to post it.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will. Even if I don't find it, I will make it up as I go along. I loved this for the summer, we always seem to be soo busy and it was nice to cook all one day and have the option of just taking something out of the freezer.
Monica

And I loved the cost!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea and with us SS people using our own produced meats and such...the cost is even better maybe! :)

I like to make big batches and freeze. That is my secret weapon to ease of cooking.

Never make 1 lasagna, make 2.

Never make 1 batch of anything....like beef stew, soups, etc. they freeze so well and you then have meals when needed, cause heck we all know us women need breaks for cooking...LOL

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have much freezer space. I keep hoping for a REAL freezer, hopefully this year. I used to keep coffee cakes/ breakfast pastries, breads, side dishes, entrees, cookie doughs, pies and many other things in my freezer. I sure miss that.

Monica

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You have my attention. I am searching for you recipes all over the internet. Have not found it yet but did find how to make 4 meals from 2 chickens at this link - http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/4meal2chick.htm

Will definitely keep searching. Be sure to post what you come up with on your list of meals.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks 2dream, I have researched but maybe you'll have better luck. It's all in how you phrase things.
It is a migraine day, so I'm getting offline.Monica

MissJames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I cook up a few pounds of ground beef with garlic ,sometimes onion and peppers.I use one pound or so to make spaghetti for one meal.The next night I make a meat pie.I add a little more meat to the leftover spaghetti sauce and put it in a casserole dish.Sprinkle a little cheddar cheese on top. I make instant garlic mashed potatoes ,2pks [I like a brand that comes in a bag and you only add water]and spread that over the meat mixture. A little more cheese to top it off.My family loves this and you can add so many things to it,or use a different mashed potato or type of cheese.
I keep the last cooked pound of ground beef frozen for when I'm in a pinch.You can add it to any packaged rice,potato or macaroni mix for a quick meal.