does anyone here raise quail?

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
The Martian Chick raises them. She's the one with the new book just out at Amazon. I don't think she comes here real often but I'll find her and she what info she can give you. For your dogs hotspot, have you tried a mixture of half ACV and half water? It works for mine. Good luck with your birdies!

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for alerting me to this topic, Snapshot!

I do raise quail and have for a few years. To answer your question about raising them in something up off of the ground, I would highly recommend it. Over the years we've had the neighborhood cats in the yard watching quail tv on almost a daily basis, so we haven't had to worry about rats or mice. The main reason that I would recommend that they be raised up off of the ground is that it makes it easier to care for them. Bending over can be backbreaking especially as we age.

Also, if your area gets snow, it will be easier to care for them if they are kept up above it! I built my hutch on the ground initially and then set it up on top of three pallets to avoid the snow issue. Our area had more than 170 inches of snow last year and it was a constant struggle to keep the area around the hutch clear.

Here is a link to an article that I wrote a few years ago for Backyard Poultry Magazine:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-2/smooth_quailing.html

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
quail are delish.

but I like big.

Tony hunts dove. what a waste. time and effort and more in preparing for a one bit meal isn't worth it to me.

I strive toward bigger foods. Like ducks. as much as I don't like raising things with feathers, I want Tony to take up duck hunting.

It comes down to taste. If quail float your boat go for it. If you want bang for buck go bigger fowl.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do love quail (meat) and they won't take up much room to raise them. I also have a muscovie ducklings coming in the spring. And a trio of adults. They arnt very pritty but... yum.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Looks like I will build up off the ground!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
farmerchick, if you live the taste of dove, try Squab (pigeon) its REALY nice and meatier than wild dove, and there increidbly easy to raise in the right set up. :)

i love quail because for me there the perfect meal size lol. 1 bird = perfect amount of meat for one meal for me :p

nolandlady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i raise Coturnix.
I put them outside as soon as they can get out of a brooder b/c as cute as they can be ,they STINK!
i keep mine in pens that are covered in 1/2 inch hardware cloth. 1 inch or larger is too big a hole and you WILL lose birds to predators if you use it. They do best off ground. when planning the cage size ,figure 1 sq.ft. of space for each adult bird.
Coturnix and all quail need a high protein diet of 25-30% .They also have to be protected from chickens who may be carriers of diseases that quail are not immune to such as coryza and CRD .
they require 12-14 hours of light a day to keep them laying but with sufficient light they'll lay an egg a day except when in moult 1 or 2 times a year.
Although we do eat some of the Cots ,mostly they are for eggs here. the eggs can be used any way you can use chicken eggs it just takes more.The eggs are cute ...:)
any questions you still have i'd be happy to answer
Tried to post pics but although i've been lurking on here for months ,i guess i need to have more posts first. If you want pics i can email them or PM? them to specific people ...

daniel-delarosa

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
nolandlady said:
i raise Coturnix.
I put them outside as soon as they can get out of a brooder b/c as cute as they can be ,they STINK!
i keep mine in pens that are covered in 1/2 inch hardware cloth. 1 inch or larger is too big a hole and you WILL lose birds to predators if you use it. They do best off ground. when planning the cage size ,figure 1 sq.ft. of space for each adult bird.
Coturnix and all quail need a high protein diet of 25-30% .They also have to be protected from chickens who may be carriers of diseases that quail are not immune to such as coryza and CRD .
they require 12-14 hours of light a day to keep them laying but with sufficient light they'll lay an egg a day except when in moult 1 or 2 times a year.
Although we do eat some of the Cots ,mostly they are for eggs here. the eggs can be used any way you can use chicken eggs it just takes more.The eggs are cute ...:)
any questions you still have i'd be happy to answer
Tried to post pics but although i've been lurking on here for months ,i guess i need to have more posts first. If you want pics i can email them or PM? them to specific people ...
Can you email me some pictures? ddelarosa74868@yahoo.com I have been kicking around the idea of getting some quail since I have a few extra cages. I wonder if they can be housed next to rabbits?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nolandlady said:
Welcome to the forum, nolandlady! :frow

Due to problems with spammers, new members have to have 10 posts before they can post pictures or add links to their posts. Just introduce yourself at Where am I - Where are You? and after you reply back to folks, you'll have those posts in no time. Or just find other threads your interested in and reply to them.

Glad you quit lurking and decided to join in! Just make yourself at home here and enjoy! :D

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The eggs from quail are beautiful! A light blueish color with brown speckles. And the males call is weird at first but I loved the sound.