Does anyone here raise turkeys?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My son loves turkey eggs...only takes one or two to make a good, big omelet or scrambled eggs!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Really, I had no idea. I guess I have just never heard of anyone eating them around here.
Thanks so much for the information and the links.
I need all the info I can get.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Isn't it strange that the poults all have fuzz on their heads but then lose it all and don't get any feather on their heads or necks.
They would sure be much better looking if they did. The turkeys are beautiful but the neck and heads put me off a little.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I want to raise turkys this year for meat. I have done little research but I have found that some people say to expect about 50% to make it to slaughter weight.

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I raised turkeys this year and 6 out of 6 were dressed out this weekend. They were older than I would normally have kept them but there was a scheduling problem with the guy doing the work. They weighed 37, 36, 36, 30, 25, 22 pounds. I have know idea how we will cook the bigger ones. Maybe I will give those away for gifts for the holidays. Mine were with the chickens for a while and I had no problems, but it isn't recommended.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this old thread :)

As I walked by the chick order form on our kitchen counter tonight, I just about passed out when I saw my husband had ordered 10 turkeys. Say what? So, guess whose job it is to stay up late researching how on earth to raise turkeys?

Actually, I'm secretly delighted :)

Here is an incredible thread I found on BYC and thought I would pass on in case anybody else could use the info: http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92240&p=1

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hey--gettinaclue! So glad to be starting this adventure with someone else :) Hopefully Freemotion will join, too. I think she just got turkeys. Did you find that thread yet? I made it (finally) to page 16. Very, VERY good information!