Does anyone know how to make this??

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is a chicken remedy but it is $46 a quart!!!

VetRx: Ingredients are things like camphor and mineral oil.

Any ideas that can help? I know I need to treat my flock, but that's pretty expensive.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
what are you using it for? I know that for respitory infections cinnamon works really well in birds, just add it to thier water. And I have also had success with blackstrap mollasses in the water for yucky vents.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
what are you using it for? I know that for respitory infections cinnamon works really well in birds, just add it to thier water. And I have also had success with blackstrap mollasses in the water for yucky vents.
I was told to add apple cider vinegar to their water.

The chickens have some sort of respiratory infection. I do not know what it is, as I just got some new chicks and they have not been integrated but one is sneezing and now within 24 hours the rooster of the main flock has gotten sick......

He sounds awful, but $50 is alot of money! plus shipping....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
VetRx is made from Canada Balsam, Camphor, Oil Origanum, Oil Rosemary, blended in a corn oil base.

We use equal parts of eucalyptus, rosemary, and oregano oils mixed with distilled water when we don't have VetRx.

ACV/Cayenne for Respiratory

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in a microwave-safe glass and microwave on high one minute. Stir well. Your salt should dissolve into the vinegar but the cayenne pepper won't. If you want, you can strain the pepper out, or you can leave it in. Either way, let it come to room temperature and then add to a gallon of water. This is your chicken's drinking water. (Note: you can administer this on a regular basis, but if you do, just don't add the salt every time. It is not good for your birds to continuously consume salt water, and you should only use it as a treatment.)

edited for spelling

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, keljonma. I am always on the lookout for home made remedies. Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but I saved it in my chicken book, just in case.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that!!!

I really appreciate people who go to the trouble to share their hard earned wisdom!!!

Thank you!! :thumbsup

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks keljonma - and I thought you just had great recipes for people!

Thanks for the molasses and cinnamon tips, Morel.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Two days on your concotion and they are all fine!!!

It would have taken that long to get the VetRx here in the mail!

I will be making sure to keep them on apple cider vinegar at the very least.

Thanks again.