Does anyone live near pine cones?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Lordy, wish I had known you wanted pine cones. I could have shipped you a 53' container full and still been wondering what I was going to do with the other 82 million. The bad news is we either burned them or ran over them with the lawn mower to chop them up, the good news is next year I will have another trillion. We have Loblolly pines which do not make really big pine cones. I would say medium but they are really full with the deep creavices which would make ideal bird feeders. So.....since I don't have any right now I can't be of much help. But if you will email me I will gather your next years bird feeders and send them to you. I will even pay shipping. Its cheaper than chopping them up and easier than burning. Ummmmm anyone need pine straw?:D

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have may combes ranging from tiny to about 8 inches...
the larger ones I like to split in 1/2 and dry in the oven...
have very interesting centers...
I also have covered in peanut butter and seeds...
the birds seemed to find thease a little more difficult without a perch bottom
but is just so amusing to whatch the chipmunks and squirls...try to capture this tasty big seed they found...

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Oh pinecones come in all shapes and sizes!!
When I was growing up there were some beautiful evergreens, I'm not sure what variety, but they had the most interesting cones, they actually looked like roses. One year the tree would drop lots of pollen, and the next year there would be these beautiful cones. I collected a bunch of them and saved them, no idea where they got to, probably still stuffed in a box somewhere at my mom's house :p

We don't have many around here or I would offer. The south seems to have lots of trees, I remember driving into SC and seeing so many pines.
It wasn't until I took my other half home to NC that he ever saw anyone use pine straw as "mulch" for flower beds! He thought that was very strange!

jjopal

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am in Fl and have tons of huge pinecones - we give them to the rabbits and use them for fire starters - better than fat lighter! Anyone that wants some for shipping just let me know - we have tons!