Does anyone move their garden?

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Zip ties are useless in very cold climates. They get brittle and break at temps below about 10 degrees F.

Chickens, Ducks, and Turkeys are all good for winter garden conditioning. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Even the black ones? :hu I thought the black zip ties were supposed to hold up in more extreme conditions. Admittedly it only gets extremely cold here for about 3 weeks a year.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Even the black ones? :hu I thought the black zip ties were supposed to hold up in more extreme conditions. Admittedly it only gets extremely cold here for about 3 weeks a year.
When I was building my compost bin I went to the local feed store looking for the wire ties that they used to use on some feed bags. He told me to use zip ties. When I remarked that I had used them in the past and they had failed, he told to use only black ones as they don't break down like colored or white ones. I took his advice and so far (about 18 months) they have held securely.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
Zip ties are useless in very cold climates. They get brittle and break at temps below about 10 degrees F.

None have broken for us, and we get extremely cold up here :idunno

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
While on the subject ...

Zip ties even make great boning for use in sewing projects! Just get the BIG ones. ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
While on the subject ...

Zip ties even make great boning for use in sewing projects! Just get the BIG ones. ;)
Now that is being frugal!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
lwheelr said:

Don't buy the cheap ones from Harbor Freight, and you won't have that problem. ;)

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom used a two sided run/garden, and it was a failure because once she got a garden area big enough to meet the garden space need, it was too big for the chickens to keep weeded. Of course, having one that big is the only way your chickens get enough forage - they need weeds to eat. But that meant that when we went to plant again, we had a nasty weedy patch to dig up again. It was just WAY easier to build the soil consistently in one side.

I remember she switched it one year, then went back to the first side and there it stayed.