Does anyone raise their own fish?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Emerald said:
I so want to do this.. I was thinking yellow perch here in Michigan.. but not only raising the fish but running a pump and line thru and maybe a bell siphon and get some aquaponics going for cucumbers and lettuces and stuff.. Oh MY! if you do a small search on aquaponics you will be blown away by some of the set ups..
I've already grown a bit of baby boc choi and lettuce on a floating raft on top of my gold fish tank. Hubs even rigged my grow lights over the tank.. only downside.. my gold fish and guppy tanks are right next to one another and the light encouraged green algae to form on the sides of the tanks... Maybe I should ask for a few Plecostomus to go in the tanks.
Emerald,

Your set-up sounds really cool! :cool:

If you can get them, you might want to try Otocinclus instead of Pleco's for the algae problem.
Thanks for the link and I may look into those, but my biggest problem is.. I don't have a tank heater and my home is only about 68F in the winter.. the guppies don't mine and the gold fish certainly don't seem to mind but the specs on the tiny catfish says warm water around 75 to 79F. I had mystery snails and they did great for a long time but then just croaked.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do a google search for raising Tilapia in 55 gallon drums. There is a lot of info on the subject.
It is quite fascinating.

the lady with 2 rescued cockerspaniels, a rescued rottwieler, german shepherd, foster american bulldog, 5 city chickens, 6 meat rabbits, their kits, bumble bee ball python

Latest posts