Does lamp oil degrade over time?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a couple of bottles stashed in a cabinet - probably 5 years old. Is it still good? We only use the lamps in emergencies, so it might sit there another 5 years. I know some fuels can't be kept that long, so not sure.
:idunno

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
I found a couple of bottles stashed in a cabinet - probably 5 years old. Is it still good? We only use the lamps in emergencies, so it might sit there another 5 years. I know some fuels can't be kept that long, so not sure.
:idunno
I have lamp oil that is over 10 years old. During a recent power failure it burned just fine. I have had problems with kerosine that left a white wax like material in the bottom of lamps and containers but even that burned but was more smoky than the old lamp oil. I never even thought to consider that it might have degraded....~gd

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Lamp oil is pretty much a high grade kerosene and like any other petroleum distillate can become ineffective over the years, The hydrocarbons tend to link in longer chains which become harder to burn, and more noticeable with gasoline in our complicated engines.

My same advice goes for any old gas is that it should be mixed with fresh stuff 1 to 4 before using, not like its gonna cause fuel injector problems but lamp oil has smoke inhibitors. If it were just for outside burning I wouldn't worry about it as kerosene stores far longer than you will live.

This is why kerosene is one of the best fuels for long time survival storage, a kerosene heater would work nicely on 50 year old stuff with no treatment or container rotation.