Does Monsanto own the seeds you bought?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They say so.

"All of our seed is non-hybrid, non-GMO, non-treated and non-patented.

We do not buy seed from Monsanto-owned Seminis. We boycott all gene-altering companies. We are not members of the pro-GMO American Seed Trade Organization! We work with a network of about 100 small farmers, gardeners and seed growers to bring you the best selection of seeds available! Many of our varieties we sell were collected by us on our travels abroad."

http://rareseeds.com/about

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
Snowhunter said:
Monsanto doesn't own Baker Creek, and I hope to God they never do.
X2

Baker is not owned by them. Hqueen, since your statement was so definitively worded, do you have proof otherwise?
My statement isn't definitive that Baker IS owned by Monsanto. My statement only says: From what I read Monsanto now OWNS a number of the companies that sell seeds - GMO or not.

Monsanto is buying the companies that sell seeds. These seeds are not GMO seeds, but the companies are owned by Monsanto. I attempted to open a link in one of the first articles trying to find out more info, and was unable to open it, so I couldn't finish reading it. I was very disappointed to find out that Early Girl and Better Boy tomato seeds are now sold by companies that are ultimately owned by Monsanto. These are varieties that my grandfather always had around and grew well for him.

My point in response to you, Egz, is that just because the seeds aren't GMO doesn't mean that the company selling them isn't ultimately owned by Monsanto. I wasn't implying that Baker was, I was simply saying that the non-GMO label is no longer enough to assume that it isn't ultimately a Monsanto product. Frustrating and sad.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Don't you Think your posting Title is A tiny bit misleading? Just because some people don't do their homework and buy from seed companies owned by Big Pharma Does Not mean that they own the seeds that you bought. If you buy a Ford does the US government own your car?You might want to look at the rules for this site like #3 under the don'ts

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
One thing to remember about monsanto. The only seed they OWN are the genetically modified organisms, wether it be a gmo or a specialty hybrid, if the plant says heirloom or non gmo, its free game. congress passed the patent bill for them to patent the seeds thay genetically altered nothing more whether by cross hybridization, or addin new Dna and Rna to the said seed. So even if monsanto owns the company, there are still good seeds, it is only the specialty seeds that they can patent so there fore all the seeds they sell they do not own only some. So as long as it says non gmo or heirloom or is sold by several companys it should be ok, just research it a lil

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I may be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but I believe the OP was posting this information not so much to say that the seeds are bad, or GMO, or hybrid, but rather to point out, for those who might prefer not to give Monsanto any of their money if at all possible, that certain seed companies are, in fact, owned by Monsanto; which would therefore benefit from anyone buying those seeds. If you don't care that Monsanto is making money from your purchase then the information can be ignored.

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Though I don't know about seeds in particular, I do know that Monsanto makes it a practice to "own"(patent) organisms that are NOT modified in any way. They "own" the rights to the gene that causes breast cancer. Because they "found" it and got the patent through. So now they OWN all rights to working with a gene that naturally is a part of many of us. THEY are the only ones who can study the gene...unless someone else wants to pay for the "right" to study a naturally occuring thing...

Now I know that's not seed, BUT I wouldn't put it past them!

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/genetically-engineered-foods/24-d-corn/

This is OUR lives and OUR home enviornments that they are effecting on a scale that it is hard to conceive of. Better understanding of the impact of GMO is a good thing.

Seed Savers is a great place for non GMO and organic. If you become a member, you get a book that's nearly 2 inches thick that has THOUSANDS of different varieties of edible plants and flowers (no pictures)...they are offered from other farmers commited to saving seeds.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yes, ORChick, you are correct. I, for one, do not intend to intentionally give ANY of my hard earned dollars to a company such as Monsanto. My point is that you can't assume that just because it isn't GMO that it is not connected to Monsanto. They are everywhere.

I am thrilled to know of a resource like Baker Creek, though I suspect I'd be rather over whelmed by such a thing!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Yes, ORChick, you are correct. I, for one, do not intend to intentionally give ANY of my hard earned dollars to a company such as Monsanto. My point is that you can't assume that just because it isn't GMO that it is not connected to Monsanto. They are everywhere.

I am thrilled to know of a resource like Baker Creek, though I suspect I'd be rather over whelmed by such a thing!
Nor do i, so I am glad you brought this information to my attention.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FranklinStreetWest said:
Though I don't know about seeds in particular, I do know that Monsanto makes it a practice to "own"(patent) organisms that are NOT modified in any way. They "own" the rights to the gene that causes breast cancer. Because they "found" it and got the patent through. So now they OWN all rights to working with a gene that naturally is a part of many of us. THEY are the only ones who can study the gene...unless someone else wants to pay for the "right" to study a naturally occuring thing...

Now I know that's not seed, BUT I wouldn't put it past them!

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/genetically-engineered-foods/24-d-corn/

This is OUR lives and OUR home enviornments that they are effecting on a scale that it is hard to conceive of. Better understanding of the impact of GMO is a good thing.

Seed Savers is a great place for non GMO and organic. If you become a member, you get a book that's nearly 2 inches thick that has THOUSANDS of different varieties of edible plants and flowers (no pictures)...they are offered from other farmers commited to saving seeds.
Woahhhh, wait, really?! Wtf?! Way to go big POS company for harboring the "right" to good research to try to prevent illness. That's freaking awesome. I've never liked Monsawhatever, but now I really, really abhorr them. What a piece of crap company that money means more than another company possibly finding a better cure for breast cancer. Now I'm irritated!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Woahhhh, wait, really?! Wtf?! Way to go big POS company for harboring the "right" to good research to try to prevent illness. That's freaking awesome. I've never liked Monsawhatever, but now I really, really abhorr them. What a piece of crap company that money means more than another company possibly finding a better cure for breast cancer. Now I'm irritated!
Betta - that is why it is more important than ever to know where the buck STOPS. When you snoop and follow the money trail it can lead to some really surprising places.
So frustrating!