Does vital gluten go bad? urgh!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts. I guess I still don't know what went wrong. I'm giving the vital gluten to my friend who insisted I try it...... :hu

I would love to be able to grind my own grain into flour, but don't have a mill. I purchase all my flours and grains from the local Amish bulk store. They have a large Amish and English customer base, as they are the only bulk store in that part of the county.

I'm trying to do some additional baking this week, because next week I will be in Texas visiting ds & his dgf and dd, sil & the grands. :love My dh will be home to take care of the animals and if I don't leave homemade bread in the freezer, he will spend $1.59 for a 16 oz loaf of crap white bread at the local grocery. :smack :D

The recipe I usually use does not call for the vital gluten, but is similar in other ingredients required. As I mentioned before, I let my bread machine mix and knead the dough. Then I divide the dough and let it rise a second time in bread pans and then bake the bread in my oven. I make 4 loaves of bread every week; 2 Vienna and 2 something else.

For Vienna Bread, the recipe calls for the following..

2/3 cup water
2/3 cup milk
4 T unsalted butter, in pieces
4 cup bread flour
3 T sugar
1 T plus 1 tsp vital gluten
2 tsp kosher salt
2 1/4 tsp SAF yeast or 2 3/4 tsp bread machine yeast

The bread I baked yesterday looks, smells, tastes the same as always, but the dough did not rise as much as it usually does.

The yeast was just opened last week, and those loaves were fine. The vital gluten is Hodgsen Mill in a brown box, just opened yesterday. It does not smell rancid, and really has no discernable smell at all (to me). I put it in the refrigerator (in an airtight tin) because it says to refrigerate after opening on the box.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Normally you add vital gluten to breads made with whole wheat flour only. there is enough gluten in regular flours for bread to rise. BTW----oooooold thread. ;)