Dog acceptance

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The pup and Trouble rough play and I guess they friends cuz no blood and tales wagging but I told the family what the suggestions from everyone point to and no possible contact when we are away. Only time it sounds like a threat is during feeding if Trouble really feels a snack is for her only. I leave DH to the snacks. Thinking some Valerian in her dog food….. I don’t know. Why me?
Food resource guarding is a normal and expected (but not acceptable) dog behavior. The aggression is caused by competition for the resource. Puppies start displaying this behavior at to 4 weeks of age.

The main strategies to prevent problems are to feed/treat dogs separately (eliminate competition), and give one dog consistent preferential access to resources (create an expectation that reduces competition).

There is a behavior modification protocol to help with resource guarding between dogs. It's called voluntary sharing.

I deal with this in my house. My older dog has a health problem that causes her to be literally starving, and this caused her to have a new food resource guarding problem with my younger dog. I feed them separately. My older dog eats first in a different room with the door closed. When she is done, then my younger dog eats. They ring a bell when they are done eating. When they have a bone or chew, my older dog gets hers first, then my younger dog. My older dog is allowed to take his bone away - I just give him another one. I also reduce competition for bones by making them available - they can ask for a bone any time using their communication button.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow. You're braver than me. I understand you're between a rock and hard place. Dog fights are no fun. Maybe @tortoise will have some helpful words. Several at once has its own challenge. And several size differences...personalities, too. 😢🙄🤞

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son had a pitbull, he like me and I liked him. My son used to swing him around with a big rope that he lock jawed to a big knot on the end. But then I witnessed him shred a ole semi truck tire over a weekend just because he could. After that I had great respect for him. He still liked me and I still liked him but I had found a new respect for him. I have no idea how strong a pitbulls bite is but it's got to be very strong. Not something I would want to get in the middle of at all. I hope someone here can give you some good advise.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Trouble was raised on a farm and there was a time DH could tell her to catch him a drake and she knew what he wanted. Or if she was told to fetch up a rooster she wouldn’t return with a hen…it was a rooster. He would tell her to catch a rabbit and she would hunt them down and return with one….unharmed. She isn’t quite like that anymore but she recently did catch a rabbit for us. She hates snakes, coons, possums and cats. We finally have her not chasing the cats. DH no longer trusted her to just stay with him unleashed so she spends time outside on a run. I recently bought some t-bar posts at his request so apparently he plans on fencing in the yard. He said he will start off by fencing in everything and then concentrate on divisions. He is hoping if we have crates for the dogs and they smell each other, even if they can’t bite into each other, that they will know they are a pack.
DH loves Trouble. I know it will hurt him if she dies or gets in trouble (earning her name). He only accepted her because he was told if he didn’t take her that she would be raised for the fighting pits in Florida. Someone took her to Louisiana as a gift to DH. Between me and Trouble it has been love/hate. I know she currently listens to me while a lot of times she doesn’t respond to DH, her owner. It’s hard to overlook what she did to my favorite pet. My dad had several Pit Bulls. They are intelligent and deadly strong but they are also a bit unpredictable. I am afraid I think DH and I might be a bit too old with health issues to control such a powerful animal. We are both very strong but our balance might be off and our speed isn’t what it might have been even just a decade ago. I command her with my voice and by her knowing what time it is and what I expect from her. Maybe she listens to me because I take her for runs. She started chasing an armadillo 3 nights ago and DH called her off but she was still in pursuit until I screamed, “Trouble No!!” And she stopped and DH has been upset ever since. He claims they carry leprosy 🤷‍♀️
I wouldn’t mind a few videos because I might have to watch them with members of my family.
To compliment my problems, my ex kicked my 3 youngest kids out of his house today with two of said dogs, making this situation a necessity. Drama, drama, drama….

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nope. never would adopt an adult pitbull. i've seen too many scars/stitches. i like all animals, but i don't think i should have them all myself. to those who want to risk it it is up to them.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Trouble wasn’t adopted as an adult. She was a puppy when DH got her. I didn’t meet her until she was 3 years old. Basically I am currently just waiting for a few adult dogs to live out the rest of their days. It’s not exactly me who accepted them all. Some will leave with certain DD’s if and when they go off on their own. Trouble is probably permanent and I sometimes wonder if she will outlive her human. We shall see.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a beloved pet…a Dachshund mix but she looked pure. Her name is Duchess. Trouble nearly killed her but fortunately we stopped her before too much damage. She needed to stay overnight at the clinic for IVs and had to be stitched together. She recuperated but she was always afraid of thunder. She ran after our vehicles a few times…she knew how to open the door. Also one of my kids totally loved Duchess and she took her to the ex if she was staying there. One stormy day she went out to relieve herself and disappeared. We searched for weeks. I still sometimes post her pictures in case someone sees her. Pretty sure someone else would have fallen for her.
The day Trouble attacked Duchess I was bit too but through my shoe, which absorbed most of the damage but my foot did get bruised. It was a failed attempt to introduce her to my dogs. All of my dogs were rescues except Duchess. I got her at 4.5 weeks of age because her mom couldn’t go on. I try to overlook it but sometimes when I look at Trouble I still remember.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I won’t adopt any adult dog, regardless of breed.

i certainly understand that sentiment. we did adopt an adult German Shepherd from one of Mom's co-workers but we didn't know it would chase semis. we'd just finally got the dog to come up and down the stairs at last and he got out one day and ran after a semi and got hit. RIP doggie.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The pup and Trouble rough play and I guess they friends cuz no blood and tales wagging but I told the family what the suggestions from everyone point to and no possible contact when we are away. Only time it sounds like a threat is during feeding if Trouble really feels a snack is for her only. I leave DH to the snacks. Thinking some Valerian in her dog food….. I don’t know. Why me?