Dog eating chickens

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He apologizes and pays me for the chickens. Im tellin ya, hes a good guy and the dog is a good dog, good with kids, loves people. He just likes eating chickens.

If it was a crappy dog or the owner was a douche id have no problem shooting it.
Would he be willing to keep the dog on a cable run?

I understand that he's a nice guy and it sounds like ya'll have a good relationship. Good neighbors are hard to come by. He may not have the financial resources to put up a fence, but a cable run isn't terribly expensive. I'm not one to really agree with keeping a dog tied up all the time - not much of a way for a dog to live. Maybe he could keep him on the run during the day and allow him off at night when your chickens are in the coop?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would not allow a dog to roam free. That husky needs to be tied up at home or only allowed to run free when it is being supervised.

Never leave a dog unsupervised with a muzzle on. It would be so easy for the muzzle to catch on something - loose wire on a fence, tree branch, a nail, whatever. Just asking for the dog to get hurt.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Huskies are hard to keep home. I know, I had one. She was smart enough to know when I was getting home at night and always put herself back into the yard.
Electric fences are hard with Huskies because of their double coat. M Husky could lay down on the electric fence and not get shocked. I placed it about 6" high though, to keep her from digging out. Her lower legs, feet and nose were all susceptible to electric zaps though.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A gal out here had a similar problem. She took 2 or 3 fence panels, hooked them end to end with small caribeaners to make a round pen that she could move/drag around a bit. She used a small dog house with straw for a nesting box. A new covered litter box would work well if you wanted to spend some money. Food/water, they're good. I think she had 8 - 10 chickens. I helped her drag a bit one time, but she said she could manage it by herself as she didn't have to move it daily. Her birds were used to getting treats to get them into the ring, then more treats to get them to the run in the evening. It worked well enough for her for as long as she needed it.
Unless the dog jumps the fence. Our huskys didn't.
One of our boxers ate chickens. Once they get a taste of that, it's pretty hard to break 'em, I bet.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A wire basket is an option, but you know the one day the owner forgets to put it on, that dog is going to go chicken hunting. :/ tough situation. If the dog is old, I'd stop free ranging and hope the dog dies sooner rather than later?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
leerburg.com has best selection of muzzles in the USA. They're imported. In sizes you'll never find here.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm guessing if the neighbor won't/can't take the time to fence a small area for dog, he won't be putting a muzzle on him more than once or twice.
Even a couple fence panels or a ring of 2x4 welded wire hooked to the house would be simple for someone to do.

Latest posts