dog help...not an emergency, though

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, so I let my 10 yr old lab Tonka out with me to go gather eggs yesterday and while I had my head stuck in the duck house searching for chicken eggs, he disappeared.

Not a huge concern....it was about 2pm and the storm wasn't supposed to move in until late last night. Well, it started raining about 10 pm and still no sign of Tonka. Gonna learn that I have to walk him on a leash....:he

I left the gate to the covered front porch open, put some food in his dish and a fresh bowl of water out. I put the extra comforter outside but left it on top of the kids toy box outside and went to bed. I didn't sleep at all. When hubby got up at 4 I asked him to please look on the porch and see if he is back. No response so I assume he's not there. Finally went to sleep and when I got up at 6:30 I found him wet and shivering on the porch on the comforter on top of the toy box and it pouring down rain. I let him in and dried him off...gave him his meds (still on meds for 2 more weeks for lyme disease) and got him to his dog bed in the living room.

He can barely get to his feet and is hobbling around like an old man. I'm letting him drink out of the bathroom tub faucet so he doesn't have to bend over. I have poked and prodded and rubbed him all over and there doesn't seem to be any wounds of any kind so I think the night out in the cold and wet just did a number on his joints. What can I give him to help with the stiffness? When I just let him out he came in and plopped down right next to the front door. He just doesn't want to get up and walk at all.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I wonder if he would enjoy a hot bath :idunno
I did that with a kitten I found that was nearly frozen.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking a warm bath too. But maybe just a heating pad would help? I dunno :hu

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
He has moved from the dog bed to the couch....:p

If he's not better by tomorrow, I will probably do a warm bath in the afternoon after hubby gets home to help me get him in the garden tub.

Can I give him a baby aspirin? Would that help with any stiffness/inflammation/pain?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
You can give him aspirin. Baby aspirin probably won't touch it though. The dosage is 10 mg/lb of body weight. Hopefully he'll feel better once he warms up. :)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, occasional aspirin is ok, all the time no. (And before anyone argues with me, a world renowned dog neurologist told me that.)

Warm wash cloths on his joints and do you have any arnica rub? I always keep a tube of arnicare on hand, comes in handy!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've had my dog on a liquid glucosamine/chondroitin supplement for about 6 months now and it has really helped eliminate any signs of arthritis she had. She was very stiff and favored one hip last winter, but this winter she is fine. It takes about a month to kick in though! So that won't help you much today, but I think a warm bath and some doggie aspirin will help with the pain for now. Glad he came back home!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong, but the way you describe Tonka's behavior is just the way my dog acted when she got struck by a car. There were no visible signs of injury, but she was one sore doggy for a while. My only suggestion would be to watch his stools or urine for blood. Sorry, don't want to scare you, but that's what the vet told me to do.