dog help...not an emergency, though

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heat will help but I would just use luke warm at most. Soft places to lay down and if you use aspirin use the coated kind. Keep an eye on his color (gums should be pink - not pale, blue or red) and make sure he keeps drinking and peeing.... he may not want to eat much if he is hurting.

I have a soft spot for the oldies - I hope he feels better in the morning.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sounds like he had a great time out there in the world! Now his old joints are making him pay for it. My old dog, Lucy, had arthritis pretty badly and I gave her 400 mg of Motrin each day to help with this. If she didn't have it she would have some trouble getting up and down and running.

Sounds like your dog could use a dose and a good massage. Start up near his neck and work your way down, be gentle~especially over the joints, but do all his muscles if he will allow it. Provide plenty of water and a soft place to rest and he will feel better.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, he was better today...still not wanting to eat much though and has started peeing for a long time again. He just got off meds for a UTI. He is still on meds for lyme disease 3 times a day for 2 more weeks. He has wanted to be outside all day today since it was a little warmer.

I just let him in from the porch and he is still limping a bit. I am worried a bit cause he is favoring both legs on the right side so hopefully it wasn't a car accident. He just seems to want to pee a lot and call me crazy but he seems to be milking it. You call him into the kitchen and he jumps up like he's fine. :rolleyes: We'll see....I may look for the glucosamine and start him on it. We were hoping the stiffness might subside a bit with the treatment for the lyme disease.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, Lyme disease causes joint pain in people. Probably does in dogs too!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I used to have an older lab and when I would take him near water he would always jump in of course, even if it was really cold.

We found when he got elderly that if he got really cold and chilled his arthritis would really flare up. I think it is possible Tonka just got really cold and chilled and had too much exercise all in one day, over rough terrain.

I think if he had been hit by a car then by now you would have noted something else wrong. Or if a car hit him it was not a significant impact.

I have also been told that aspirin is okay short term. Long term it is too hard on their stomachs. No ibuprophen or tylenol though.....just aspirin.