Dog itching

annamolly

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi!
I live on a small "urban farm" (I use the term incredibly loosely) and have two small dogs (schnauzer/jack Russell mix) that one (whom seems to have a bit of mutt in him as well) and I decided to get some chickens. I have no idea what kind of chickens...i just wanted my own eggs.
Since I've had the chickens however (about 6 months now) I've notice Batman has been scratching himself to the point of scabbing and bleeding. At various times its been each eye, each ear, and now he's starting on his armpits. He wont seem to stay away from under the chicken and rabbit coops and eating their poop.

Any advice? I'm at my wits end with the dog. He just seems like he doesn't realize he's hurting himself. I've heard him whining painfully at the same time as scratching like crazy.

I was thinking perhaps its a food allergy too. Have any pet owners had this problem? What helped? Did you ever figure out the true cause?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Environment allergies are far more common than food allergies. Try rinsing him of with a water-only bath after he is out to the coop. It will improve his symptoms if it is an environmental allergy.

annamolly

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Is it something that I need to be worried about? I stress out that when he scratches his eye that much he'll go blind. But I must admit its more of a pain to hose him down every day since he's just going out to his backyard doing his doggy business after all.

I wish he wouldn't have the compulsion to get into the chicken/rabbit/cat poop all the time. Anyone else have this problem? Anything help?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, food allergies are a lot more "rare" then people make them out to believe. I am in total agreement with enviromental, does he have fleas? It could be flea saliva allergy, he could get itchy with even a few fleas.

This is really best to go see your vet about :) Food DOES play a role, but it doesn't sound like anything going on here. I see it more common playing a role in my area, dogs get the "santa barbara itch", which is helped by better food and flea control if not already on it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Good point MsPony. A dog does not need to "have fleas" to have a flea bite dermatitis. A single flea bite can cause skin issues for 8 weeks.

Any chance your chickens have lice?

Scratching at his eye can be a problem if he scratches the cornia.

My dogs eat rabbit poop, when we go to my fiance's parent's farm they fill up on horse poop. No issues. What dog doesn't eat poop?