Remembering Sumi

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
4/21/2020, A VERY sad update: We're very sorry to say that our beautiful friend and amazing soul Sumi passed away 3 pm Irish time. It was peaceful and pain free.

As some of you may know, our beloved moderator Sumi went missing a few weeks ago. About a dozen of us were frantically working to try and get in touch with her, but to no avail. We were worried sick about her, and her 13 year old son.

We don't want to go into too many details (unless we hear from her that it's ok), but we found out today that a few weeks ago she was hit with a major medical condition that landed her in the hospital. While we're now able to finally breathe a slight sigh of relief knowing at least SOMETHING about her situation, she's still not out-of-the-woods.

The staff discussed how to best support this AMAZING member of our community. As you all hopefully know, we have a strict rule about not asking for charitable donations... well, we all decided (and something I can do since I own this site ;) ) to break the rule this one time in 12.5 years.

Sumi has been such an amazing member, friend, and support to our community. In efforts to get away from a bad situation, she and her son moved to Ireland without really knowing anyone or having a job lined up. She's in a pretty isolated area and has loved being able to associate with our community here. She could definitely use all the help we can provide to show our appreciation and support for her!

We looked at lots of options, but decided to go with a well-known entity to process this: Paypal. The funds will go directly into her Paypal account (that she's used within the last few weeks, so I know it's working). We chose this over other "crowdsourcing" tools since it has the lowest (by far) fees, and is dead-simple.

Please click the image or link below and donate what you can. Also please leave her a nice note when processing the donation, and feel free to copy the note as a reply here as a way to publicly acknowledge her awesomeness and to keep this thread actively bumped :)

We love you Sumi and hope for a very FULL and speedy recovery!

We look forward to your posts of gratitude, support, and encouragement as she goes through this process!!

NOTE: This was originally posted on BYC here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-support-sumis-health-recovery-fund.1335205/

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My forum are praying for her and I've passed along the link to this post there on our prayer request thread. Thank you for letting us know of her need. We value her highly here and on the other forums she moderates.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you for this information. I think a lot of Sumi, as does everyone here. Been missing her, I am thankful that you tracked her down!

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for setting this up for such a wonderful leader of the community here.

Sumi, our prayers are with you no matter the circumstance, and I want you to know I am praying for you and asking God to watch over you and help you recovery swiftly. Thank you for all you do!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hey everyone... It's taken me ages to get to you all and I'm sorry :hugs

Can I start by saying I'm so grateful for you all's support, patience and messages, etc? I thank each and everyone of you so much for everything you have done and is still doing for me. And Rob, for starting this thread and breaking the rules! I love you guys... :hugs

Now... What happened is that my cancer came back... And it was on my brain this time... I had a successful surgery to remove the tumour and all is good there now, which I'm grateful for!

Where and how this one started and if it is anywhere else in me, the oncology team is going to find out now. And the treatment for "in case" and what may be left is going to start next week as well.

Good news is I'm recovering well from the surgery and I'm looking forward to being back with you all properly :hugs

Thanks again for your help, support, prayers, everything... Everything is deeply appreciated!

Latest posts