Dorper Sheep

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am going to obtain a Dorper ewe lamb this spring to turn my large yard and orchard into something other than a place to mow. This is the breed I've selected that seems to fit into a small acreage homesteading type operation.

http://ranchmagazine.com/index.php/Livestock-Breeds/Sheep/Dorper-Hair-Sheep-Meat-Breed.html

They seem to have all the attributes I am looking for in a lawn mower. I also wish to keep some of the milk for cheese making, as I would like to sell some at my roadside stand. These sheep sound wonderful for my purpose and I've located a breeder.

Just think....lambs to pet and cuddle..then sell for a good profit. No more gas wasted on lawn mowing...can turn my grass into meat and dairy. No shearing, as this breed sheds their wool. No tail docking required in this breed, parasite resistant, hardy in all weathers, pleasant temperament and non-selective grazing habits. All my fallen apples will be utilized into food for my lawnmower. And....she and her babies will look great on my green lawn, grazing and frolicking along with my chickens and dogs!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never heard of that breed. I have been thinking of getting sheep, but am concerned about predators. Thanks for letting us know about this breed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this is a nice sheep
we thought sheep for a bit then decided goats...why I don't know..LOL-LOL

no sheep for me....getting older I want to cut back on animals, not acquire more..HA HA HA

my next purchase is 2 horses for me and Nicole.

But that sounds ideal for your acerage to keep a few sheep and use them as a lawm mower...smart!!!!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They seem to have all the attributes I am looking for in a lawn mower.
That is funny!! They look pretty sturdy from the pics! Good Luck.There is man in Los Angelos that 'rents' out his sheep to clear hillsides in an eco-friendly way.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmer Chick, I had weighed the idea of goats, but I think they would destroy my orchard, plus I don't have any good browse for them. These Dorpers seem a real heavy, hardy breed and the black-headed ones are quite attractive...almost look like Boer goats, ya think?

I posted this idea because I thought there may be more people out there who are considering adding to their self-sufficient lifestyle by adding small livestock.

Sheep sell for more than goats at the livestock auctions , are not as prone to escape fencing or destroy trees and shrubs and can still be a source of milk. I have the proper fencing for them and the dogs will insure no predators can get them. Also, as they tend to actually graze and are nonselective, they will mow my yard and orchard more closely than will goats.

I read about this breed in Countryside and was quite impressed with how meaty they looked, as well as not having to shear them. Did you read the part about them having the thickest skins of all breeds? Says it makes them hardy for cold or hot environments. Sounds like a pretty versatile breed!

Hoosier, now would be a good time to think about getting a Great Pyrenese dog! :) One of mine is a GP/Lab mix and she is wonderful! If the cost is prohibitive, they have GP rescue sites where you can adopt one...some of them will even bring it to you. You just have to be careful about why they are up for adoption...some didn't work out as LGD. They also have puppies, so you could train your own. Great dogs...my sister used to raise them. I know folks who used to lose sheep to coyotes and cougars, but no losses at all after getting a GP.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You surely made a smart decision...that was a good post explaining how you settled on those sheep!

You are right---goats are a pain in the &&*^&%^%......LOL---they escape, die easily, prices are not wonderful and they do destroy trees. kill them.....so you are smart with the sheep...didn't think of that with being in the orchard!!

hmmm...maybe a sell out and into sheep we go..LOL

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
My vet once told me that sheep have a will to die. lol
A few sheep are probably easy to keep - the meat to food ratio is better for sheep.
I just love the goaties- the sheep I've had were really personable til they got a little older then they became air-heads. Hard to handle. But I never had any these Dorpers- maybe they are different.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our insurance company said we were insured for all types of livestock except sheep. Has anyone else encountered this?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
hoosier said:
Our insurance company said we were insured for all types of livestock except sheep. Has anyone else encountered this?
Never heard of that! I wonder why? :hu Probably because of ....

enjoy the ride, my son's ag teacher says that sheep come out of the womb and immediately start looking for a way to die! :lol: I've heard also that they are escape artists as well, though not in the realm of expertise of a goat.
Maybe the high death rate makes them uninsurable?

These Dorpers are supposed to have a high live birth rate, so I'm hoping this is so. If I had more property, I would get a couple and see how they do, then add to the flock if they prove to be a good investment. I'm kind of hoping the man who owns the field next door will let me run some in there when he sees how mine is doing. He wouldn't rent it to me for horses, but farmers are real weird about horses and cattle around here....think horses chase cattle and run the beef off them! :lol: