Dorper Sheep

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think there was a comment about them being too stupid to live....:rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea these types of animals are very low willed to live. My goats, when sick, wow, they croak fast if not treated immediately.

they do literally lay down and die and don't fight. just the nature of the critter!

your sheep should do well for you. caring for a few sheep vs. a huge herd of sheep will mean you can truly care for them and I am sure they will prosper. As with any critter, rams can be very dangerous. A ram killed an old farmer here about 3 or so years ago. He went out into the field to check his sheep and his wife found him later that night....the ram had gotten him onto the ground and nailed him bad. Injuries enough to kill him...very sad way to end a farming career but it happens. The strength in their heads and horns is amazing!

My Boer buck is about 250-300 lbs. and massive. He had his way with me one day...ramming me into the metal gate, luckily Tony was in the kidding pen and I was screaming and he pulled him off me...but when they hit the knees and such they are trying to get you to the ground...and big boy almost had me on the ground...you push back and they push harder..LOL I respect that sucker now and keep a wide distance around him at all times....I have eyes in the back of my head, on the side of my head, etc. etc. to keep a watch on where he is at every moment when I am out in the herd..LOL

read up on sheep husbandry and you knowing all you do....your sheep should do well!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is very interesting. I have given some thought to having sheep you don't have to sheer. I love mutton!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Only owning three does, breeding has been an issue with me too. I have taken the does somewhere to be bred. This year I'm trying a very young buck (he's 7 months old) to try to get my girls settled.
The reason for the youngster is exactly what FarmerChick said- older buck (and rams) are dangerous. The guy will be with me for awhile than off the freezer camp. While he's still close to 100 lbs.
I really like him too- he is a sweetie but I simply can not deal with a full grown male animal-lol. They have their agenda.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't want to keep a ram, so I will be farming that chore out..so to speak! :rolleyes:

I don't care about what breed of ram, really, as I just want to breed back to a meat breed and sell the lambs. I'm going to advertise and really check out the place for herd health and such, as I don't want my girl to get any illness or parasites when she does the do....she is going to practice safe sex! :D